Anyone else hate the word "newbie"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing wrong with novice at all. Use it in good health!

Newbie has the childish ring because of the -ie ending, but I think that makes it descriptive since us newbies may be more prone to naive mistakes. We don't hold kids in contempt for what they don't know, so I don't read it as insulting because it sounds like a kid's word.

The -ie ending to words is used to denote a female or diminutive version of somthing. I think it goes back to low-german. I know Affrikands (bastardized Dutch) uses it like that also.

It's just a way to add a little more insult to the word. If it's used in jest, it's ok. If its used in the pejoritive, it's not.

You mean "Afrikaans."

:doh2: Damn, been so long I even forgot how to spell the language. Oh well, I've forgotten almost everything else I learned.

Sometimes I think my brain is a 1 oz glass that filled up during childhood. I learned Spanish a second language very well, then forgot a lot. Then I started learning Afrikaans for fun and forgot even more Spanish. Then came Japanese, then I went back to brush up my Spanish. Then I learned Arabic during my time in Iraq. So now I can barely converse in english, but I can royally screw up multiple languages!

Oh yeah, there was a year of French in there somewhere too. Didn't do too well in French.

What gets really bad is when I'm talking in another language and I forget a word, my brain tries substituting other laguages' version for that word.

Slaap Lecker (or however you spell it).

That's funny. On a visit to Puerto Rico, I assured my fellow travelers that I knew enough Spanish to easily manage, since my university had declared me "fluent." The first time I broke out with something like, "¿Dònde está la playa?" I was met with a barrage of Spanish that was totally incomprehensible to me. Of course we got by fine speaking English, as we do almost everywhere else.

Sorry, I thought this was funny

newbie.jpg

It could be worse. When I started diving my buddy called me cherry

Only acceptable if used by Mike Franks when talking to Jethro Gibbs or people with similar rapport.

That's "Probie", but same diff.

I don't know, McGeek works as well.

It worked when Dr Cox used it in Scrubs

If words offend you, you are too sensitive.

Jeff
I am not acquainted with anybody who cannot be offended by words. If you've ever been in a fistfight, or witnessed a fistfight, you know that they are usually precipitated by words, with the occasional exception for "looks," that were deemed offensive. There are very few words that are offensive standing alone, and "newbie" certainly doesn't qualify, but I strongly disagree that words can't be offensive, you blithering idiot--uh, no offense. :wink:

If words offend you, you are too sensitive.

Jeff

Pretty sure I didn't say anything about being offended by the word.... just don't like how it sounds dumb.... thanks for the input though:mooner: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom