Anyone ever dive down into a well?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XxMerlinxX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The other day, while I was reading this section, I was trying to think of locations where people would probably drop things. It occurred to me that there is probably quite a bit of money to be had if you could get to the bottom of some older wells. Has anyone here tried this?

Personally I have never dived a well, but I have heard of people that have. Generally they are looking for bottles which in a lot of cases are worth more then most coins that might come up from wells. Cave-ins are the big concern here, as well as the journey back up.
If you have a metal detector you might do pretty good with the coins, another place you might want to look for coins is around bridges, which would also be a good place for wedding bands as well.
ZDD

An Archaeologists will tell you that old wells and out house pits are treasure troves, I don't think I want to diver either one.

I know that some of the places that I have dove seem like the might be outhouse pits, turds and toilet paper, condoms and beach whistles everywhere but I would also say I would have to draw the line on the outhouse pits and leave them for the archaeologists.
ZDD

I work for a company that builds roads in upstate N.Y. This summer we had a job in a area that is well known for battles,old homes and taverns ect. At a old intersection there is a historic tavern that we uncoverd a well.It was pefectly round around 5' in diamater and water depth was about 12'.Unfourtnly we had to fill it with concret and build the road over it this was part of the contract.If only I had my gear I could have dove that night after work.This well was at least 200 years old and still in pristine shape.

As a Kid we used to Clean wells all the time. Typically these were being actively pumped at the time. These were brick lined cysterns many of which had been in service for over a hundred years. We were cleaning them as maintenance as these folks were still using them as water for their farms. Typically we found rusty buckets and pump parts. And the occasional pair of eyeglasses. Chilly work.

I know that some of the places that I have dove seem like the might be outhouse pits, turds and toilet paper, condoms and beach whistles everywhere but I would also say I would have to draw the line on the outhouse pits and leave them for the archaeologists.
ZDD

Diving in scenic Halifax Harbor eh?

Diving in scenic Halifax Harbor eh?
Yea, you got it. They put the new treatment plant buck in operation last year but we are still finding lots of STUFF floating around the water. One time several years ago while diving the Tribune we surfaced in a layer of sewage an inch or two thick with solid turds floating everywhere It was like a ship carrying O'henry bars had just sunk. One of the guys that was with us was urching and trying not to toss his cookies on his swim back to the boat. Emm yum-o.
ZDD

Yea, you got it. They put the new treatment plant buck in operation last year but we are still finding lots of STUFF floating around the water. One time several years ago while diving the Tribune we surfaced in a layer of sewage an inch or two thick with solid turds floating everywhere It was like a ship carrying O'henry bars had just sunk. One of the guys that was with us was urching and trying not to toss his cookies on his swim back to the boat. Emm yum-o.
ZDD

And here I had been jealous of your diving locations...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom