Recovering Lost Rudder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in adverse conditions is always a learning experience. Sorry that the final result wasn't successful, but it is the journey that matters most. You are now a better diver for it, so there's that.

Diving in adverse conditions is always a learning experience. Sorry that the final result wasn't successful, but it is the journey that matters most. You are now a better diver for it, so there's that.
Agreed, it's been a while since I was down and sparked the excitement for sure. I've been in low vis 3ft silhouettes in wrecks, but never full zero black out. Was definitely an experience. And I'll never lose my mark, so maybe one day for fun I'll get back to it. If anyone ever wants to do some zero vis search n recovery practice in high speed current just hit me up, I got the perfect spot. Lol

Btw, this forum has been great and is a great resource you've put together with great contributors. Thanks to the admins and users for it. I'm sure I'll be back as I may add treasure hunting to the boat skills once I learn how to anchor up on top of a mark.

Yeah it could be 6inchs away and you totally miss it,.

If I was closer I would give you a hand, I don't mind a challenge,

It shows how salvage can become a money pit really fast,

Everything is simpler when you think about, vs, doing it.

Yeah it could be 6inchs away and you totally miss it,.

If I was closer I would give you a hand, I don't mind a challenge,

It shows how salvage can become a money pit really fast,

Everything is simpler when you think about, vs, doing it.
Absolutely! New respect for salvage/treasure hunters for sure. And the logistics of such a simple concept really comes to light when you start laying the plan out. What kills me was the fact that after all the dive planning I did, what stopped me was not being able to anchor up where I needed to be. So another lesson learned was that I need way more practice in different conditions with getting the boat on the spot. Especially because I plan on doing some tog fishing this fall. Although I am tempted to get my spear gun out and go down to hunt a few on scuba now too. Lol

I did a lost-jewelry dive some years ago in a New England freshwater pond.
Some young ladies had been horsing around on a moored floating raft, and one lost a necklace into the 30-foot deep water. The raft swung around quite a bit, so its exact position when she dropped the necklace was uncertain. I gathered up two dive buddies and we planned a circular search, based on dropping a weighted line off the side of the raft she had been on, and then having one diver at the line with a reel, one out swimming the line in a circle while searching, one halfway out on the line also searching. The viz sucked, so we were going to base our horizontal separation on what we found when we got down. Seemed a good plan. Worked out line-tug and hand signals and all. I dropped in first with the reel, would meet the others on the bottom. As I approached the bottom, something was glistening between my fins when I looked down. I landed, picked up the necklace from between my fins, looked up and saw the other two divers about half-way down. Moral dilemma time; do I show them the necklace, or do we swim around for a while and then "find" it? I was still pondering this when they arrived, saw it in my hand, we shrugged, high-fived, and went off on a nice dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom