Anyone ever have to ditch a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeekendDiver:
However.... in a drysuit (in the pool / quarry) it's a very different story. The key is to put your rig on your lap so you don't float up. The first (couple of) time(s) I was floating like a balloon while holding on to a strap. It was barely managable.

I was in the pool a few weeks ago... diving solo (though there was a class in the pool, I was not in the class, and did not have a buddy). I had practiced doff/don drills a couple or 3 times. Then, I was swimming around, and felt my reg tugging at the side of my mouth. I reached back and felt that my tank strap was around the tank valve! My first thought was, "Crap... great way to look like a fool in front of the students!" :rofl3: Then, I went to the deep end, and took my BC off, and fixed the problem underwater.

*Now... one must picture this to get the humour of it (all was actually controlled, but I'm sure it didn't look it!). I'm at the bottom of the pool... doff the BC (which has some of my weights in the pockets... the rest is on my belt). I realize that the tank is trying to float up... and I'm beginning to float up. I flip upside down, and fin downwards, because half my weights are in the BC and I'm positively bouyant now. I finagle the tank back to where I want it, and I'm strapping it back in, when.... my weight belt slides to my armpits! (I'm upside down, remember!) :rofl3: I ignore the weight belt, but can't help but laugh... when... my laughing breaks the seal of my mask, and it floods! :rofl3: At this point, a student swims by and asks if I'm ok!!! I flashed the OK sign, still laughing, and he goes on his way. LOL I continued to ignore the mask and weight belt... got the tank cinched in tightly, and flung the BC back on.... adjusted the weight belt back to where it was supposed to be... flipped head up again... cleared the mask, then buckled the BC and away I went!

It was the 1st time I've ever had a tank come loose... then was slightly hindered by the weight belt and flooded mask. I called it "task loading practice". :rofl3: The most important thing was that I got everything fixed by myself, and underwater. Next time I go to the pool, I'll purposely take my tank out and put it back underwater. It's a good skill to have, and it can be a fun little challenge. I'm confident that if this happened in a dark, murky quarry that I could fix it myself... having practiced in the pool.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I don't see a reason why one would have to leave the BC behind (unless you ran out of air trying to get your BC "unstuck"). You can still breathe off the reg, even when the BC is off (again, providing you're not out of air). :)

fisherdvm:
Shakeybrainsurgeon mentioned something that kinda scares me... He said, with weight integrated BC, you can start floating toward the surface as you take the bc off.. I guess I will have to remember that if my BC ever came off.
This is a skill you should practice. Try and find an assistant to help you learn to do this.

Back
Top Bottom