Anyone ever swam with sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BullShark-1_zps86e098cc.jpg

Bat Islands, Costa Rica; about nine years ago, and heading back in about a month.

Every time I dive in the Bahamas, (Grand Bahama, Nassau or Bimini) I've encountered reef or bull sharks. I've also played chicken with a couple of Sand Tiger sharks and they win every time :wink:

You're not crazy for thinking about diving with them, they are majestic and awe inspiring creatures. I'd love to dive Tiger Beach in the Bahamas one of these days.

[video]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/shark-attack-video/[/video]

Although this diver wasn't intentionally swimming with a shark...was a pretty interesting video. I think he remained fairly calm, given the circumstances.

He really managed it nicelly. He might have dropped his gain bag though. I think it was attracting that shark. But looking at this video makes you think the shark is not such a beast if you can shoe it away with a fork.

What a quote posted on the website for the video mentioned above:

A scuba diver managed to fight off a potentially deadly shark with a spear, further proof that the ocean is terrifying and everything inside of it is trying to kill us.

I think there's a huge difference between cruising a reef for fun during a rec. dive and hunting while on scuba.
If you are hunting, prepare to give up your bag (what I would do 100% of the time) or defend it.
That is what the shark will be going after.
I have even seen the usually easy going nurse sharks become aggressive near someone holding fish.

I like/film sharks so here's some options. I've been to almost all of these except the last 4 liveaboards. None of these are baited except as noted.

Hawaii:
White Tips off Molokini (Maui) is an easy dive. They rest in the sand inside the crater. The Shark Condo's dive site is deeper but it's a given.
We usually see white tips/black tips also off Lanai's west side - those are drift dives. With an Advanced card you can look for Hammerheads off Molokai. Sometimes they don't show up. Tiger Sharks are seen at Olawalu (beach dive). Turtles are on the menu there so don't look like one.

Turks and Caicos at the outer islands (French Cay, West Caicos) is almost a given. Reef sharks, Stingrays, Eagle Rays. Day boat trip from Provo

Mexico:
Hammerheads school off La Paz - not as much as they used to from what I've read. Very date specific. Prior to that we see them off Guaymas.
Whalesharks summer off Holbox/Isla Mujeres

Bahamas:
Bahama Divers often sees sharks at their Blue Hole dive on Nassau. Of course the Stuart Cove's feed is a given also. They also hover nearby waiting for the feed at other wreck sites off Cove's. Lemon Sharks off Bimini. Sometimes off South Florida also - lots of them. Tiger Sharks at Tiger Beach off the Bahamas - moderately baited. Cay Sal Banks - lots of reef sharks.

Central America:
The shark dive on Roatan - slightly baited. Whale Sharks off Utila in spring. About every 2nd/3rd dive on the north side we'd see a couple reef sharks. Once south also near Black Hills. Whale Sharks you can dive with - off Gladden Spit - Belize - later in spring.

Florida's SE Coast. Others may comment on more specific locations.

Horned sharks and Nurse Sharks off San Diego/La Jolla, California.

Some liveaboards are almost a given to see sharks:

Turks/Caicos - both Explorer and Aggressor run a trip to French Cay/West Caicos. We saw multiple sharks every dive off French Cay.

Grand Cayman, more likely on the North Wall/East End. But I saw some reef sharks "downtown" once near Sunset House.

Haven't done these (yet) but view videos on YouTube to get an idea of how many sharks they see weekly. More advanced trips also.

Galapagos Islands - , Many species of shark, Hammerheads, Whales, etc. Including whale sharks.
Cocos Islands - Hammerheads and Reef Sharks - lots of them.
Socorros Islands - About a dozen species every week - plus Mantas, Whale Sharks, Humpbacks in winter and Dolphins.
Fiji - Island Dancer - reef sharks - some Tigers. My buddy saw a lot of reef sharks there last summer (off-season)

Last edited:
EDIT.:.......I removed this post..............Joe, diver 85......

Last edited:
shark1.jpg

shark2.jpg

We dive with them all time in NC. Let me know if you would like to hook up with us for a shark photography trip sometime.

Steve---heads up on the T&C......just saying......Our middle child was lead DM/instructor on the boat that week(click below)......Worked for Peter for almost 2 years....
11/14/2002 Michelle Glenn (Turks and Caicos) : 2002 Reported Shark Bites
I'm not really sure why you're warning me about a 12 year old incident when I was in Turks/Caicos 2 years ago. Hughes sold the Dancer operation to Aggressor some years ago and there's no Dancer boat left there, just the T/C Explorer and Aggressor. We didn't feed anything the couple days we were there and the sharks were so indifferent to our presence that I seriously doubt Aggressor does either. If anything the sharks we saw daily were more than a little skittish.

So "heads up" about what exactly?

I'm not really sure why you're warning me about a 12 year old incident when I was in Turks/Caicos 2 years ago. Hughes sold the Dancer operation to Aggressor some years ago and there's no Dancer boat left there, just the T/C Explorer and Aggressor. We didn't feed anything the couple days we were there and the sharks were so indifferent to our presence that I seriously doubt Aggressor does either. If anything the sharks we saw daily were more than a little skittish.

So "heads up" about what exactly?

Forget it , then.....Guess now days sharks don't attack people---anymore......Musta been different in the old days.:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom