Anyone ever tell you that DIR = crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

java

Reaction score
Hi,
I have seen a lot on DIR diving especially on the BC forum.
I have also seen articles on the web that seemed to indicate that DIR divers are fanatic nuts. Have you had any experiance with people who think that way? How do you respond?
Thanks

Well, I'm a DIR diver, and I don't think I'm a fanatic nut. Generally, I just wave my hands at the people who ARE DIR zealots. In general, it's wise to be skeptical of anyone who's trying to convince you of something more than they are just trying to show you something.

In all honesty, I've found that most of the hardcore zealots (maybe 75% of them) are not very skilled divers -- they associate with the DIR movement only because of a psychological high of belonging with a vocal crowd that's moving and shaking things.

When someone says they're DIR, and proceeds to insult someone, I usually just look the other way, because they're usually full of crap anyway.

- Warren

...I can just hear the line screaming from the reel.

Roak

I am attaching a quote from an otherwise very informative page on gear

Among some groups, the subject of dive gear is a highly polarized one, with a lot of name-calling and long-running and bitter disputes. Good equipment decisions come from training, experience, deliberation, and good sense, and not from some cult-like devotion to a single rigid way of "Doing It Right". In the end, your gear should be adapted to your diving environment, your goals, and your abilities. Don't let yourself be swept away by a lot of overzealous, narrow-minded, self-righteous, irrelevant, irrational hogwash.

I'll leave it up to you to find the source (hint try www.google.com )

that they were refering to this part:

a lot of overzealous, narrow-minded, self-righteous, irrelevant, irrational hogwash.

as crazy.

By the way, is the source 123scuba.com?

I'll repeat my previous statement, this time in reference to the author who so eloquently penned that DIR is "a lot of overzealous, narrow-minded, self-righteous, irrelevant, irrational hogwash:"

In general, it's wise to be skeptical of anyone who's trying to convince you of something more than they are just trying to show you something.

It sounds to me like this author has a very strong personal bias, and would rather hide behind a list of opinionated adjectives than critically argue DIR.

What does it matter what this person thinks anyway? Java, since you're the one asking -- what do you think of DIR?

- Warren

ninja,

What's really funny about all of it is that I hardly ever think about what "DIR" means. To me, it's just a label, like Hogarthian, or Tree. I rarely think about the denotation of the acronym, nor do I think it really matters. It was a poor choice of names, but so was calling the electron charge 'e.' Life is about more than names. Unfortunately, a lot of the opponents of DIR are so offended by the name that they're unwilling to look past it.

- Warren

Back
Top Bottom