Anyone ever tell you that DIR = crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by java
At least that's not where I found it.
Well will you stop being so glib, and inform us? I tried using keywords from your quote on Google, and couldn't get a match.

How is your backplate search coming along? Did you make a decision?

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Well, I'm a DIR diver, and I don't think I'm a fanatic nut. Generally, I just wave my hands at the people who ARE DIR zealots. In general, it's wise to be skeptical of anyone who's trying to convince you of something more than they are just trying to show you something.

In all honesty, I've found that most of the hardcore zealots (maybe 75% of them) are not very skilled divers -- they associate with the DIR movement only because of a psychological high of belonging with a vocal crowd that's moving and shaking things.

When someone says they're DIR, and proceeds to insult someone, I usually just look the other way, because they're usually full of crap anyway.

- Warren

Warren,

I think that that is the best description of the situation I've heard. The only thing that I would add is that if a diver, especially a new diver such as myself, is not smart enough to look past the occasional zealot, and take a look at what DIR has to offer, not the hype but the logical well thought out practices, then they're selling themselves short.

The biggest problem I see with DIR is the all or nothing mentality. I believe that to be a good diver you should question everything and come to your own conclusion on what is the best rather than blindly follow. There is no shortage of dive experts, all of which know the “best” equipment configuration, all of which are different. I would like to believe that if DIR is the best, I’ll get there eventually, but I’m hard headed so it may take a while to get there.

I don’t have an unlimited dive equipment budget either. So while I am leaning toward a back plate and wings, based on the logical arguments, the BC is going to have to suffice a bit longer. I don’t think that this makes me an inherently unsafe diver. I think that what makes you a safe diver is most importantly a safe attitude and then training, practice, and experience.

Mike

Out of all the Instructors out there, among all the agencies including independent instructors and training organizations, in all the years I never heard an Instructor saying that he/she is not doing it right. Amazing, isn't it?

Originally posted by VTWarrenG

<snip/>

What does it matter what this person thinks anyway? Java, since you're the one asking -- what do you think of DIR?

- Warren

I like a lot of the DIR philosophy. If you would have a look at the BC forum you would see that I am strongly leaning to a BP/Wings. One of my reservations is that my local LDS / Dive boat would be cluless or anti DIR making it not worth getting such gear (not due to being looked down upon but of them being scared of letting me dive the equip).

Originally posted by bengiddins
Well will you stop being so glib, and inform us? I tried using keywords from your quote on Google, and couldn't get a match.
I just did a google search and realized that the page wasn't indexed. Here it is:
http://www.njscuba.net/dive_gear/index.html

Besides the DIR quote the page is very informative.

How is your backplate search coming along? Did you make a decision?

Decision for now is to rent till I get more experianced and then make my decision

is Hogarthian in nature. There should be no problems with this basic setup. In fact, you may find others trying to figure it out as you go. I have as yet to have a boat or Dive Master hassle me over mine.

java,

Take anything you read on that website with a grain of salt. It looks like a great site, but a couple of things I noticed:

1. "New Jersey" based - do a search on problems people have had with this part of the world regarding "overzealous, narrow-minded, self-righteous, irrelevant, irrational hogwash" enforced by some boat charters (no offence to our NJ listeners!)

2. The author advocates solo diving. There are links to a number of articles supporting solo diving, and none advocating buddy or team diving. The author is not being objective.

3. The author advocates pony bottles over a buddy.

4. The author advocates the use of integrated octo/inflators, and then goes on to say that an octopus is completely useless!

5. The author claims Nitrox training for inexperienced divers is dangerous.

No doubt I could find other examples of contentious issues on this site, but I haven't got all evening to waste on it.

regards

Ben

Originally posted by NetDoc
is Hogarthian in nature. There should be no problems with this basic setup. In fact, you may find others trying to figure it out as you go. I have as yet to have a boat or Dive Master hassle me over mine.

Can someone please explain what "Hogarthian " means?

Thanks

Hogarthian configuration was the name given to a long-hose primary, routed around the body, behind the neck, and into the mouth, and a bungied backup. DIR is sort of an evolution of Hogarthian configuration.

- Warren

Back
Top Bottom