Anyone ever tell you that DIR = crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by java
Can someone please explain what "Hogarthian " means?
It started out as folks poking fun at William Hogarth Main's equipment configuration, which was minimalist and shared many of the features we find today on a DIR rig.

I think of “Hogarthian” as the equipment subset of the DIR philosophy.

Roak

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Hogarthian configuration was the name given to a long-hose primary, routed around the body, behind the neck, and into the mouth, and a bungied backup. DIR is sort of an evolution of Hogarthian configuration.

- Warren

What would a typical PADI/NAUI/SSI/Y instructor say to the above regulator setup?

Well, I certainly can't speak for any "typical" instructors. They'll have to speak for themselves.

- Warren

The endless DIR discussion.
After diving the 'regular' gear setup for a long time i have switched to diving 'DIR'. I would not want to go back.
I just finished assisting with a PADI rescue class where i dive my BP/wing & long hose, i am always very pleased to see that the students are very positive towards the DIR gear configuration because in a class like this they can actually experience how much easier a lot of skills become, air share!, using this setup.
relatively new divers are much more open minded i found.
Unfortuneately there are a lot of 'DIR' divers that tend to be arrogant and think they know it better than everybody else.
Here the way the DIR message is conveyed is the problem rather than the message itself. All i can say is try it and see for yourself.
But dont forget that diving DIR is about more than just the gear, diving with a DIR configured rig doesnt make you a DIR diver.
to truly be a DIR diver requires dedication and practice.
The dive community will eventually catch on to the many advantages of diving DIR.

My instructor, while not neccisarily ordinary, dives DIR when not "on the job" for NAUI.

that apparently does the same as the previously mentioned NAUI instructor. So far as I can tell from my NAUI material, NAUI does not require a specific gear configuration. It does indicate that the desired air sharing techniques should be a part of your normal dive planning. Also there is indication that the exact techiques will depend on the configuration of the gear.

What would a typical PADI/NAUI/SSI/Y instructor say to the above regulator setup?

First off, he is a PADI master instructor with 30 years of experience and somewhere shy of 1000 logged dives.

...I was DIR when I went into my AOW class and he didn't like it one bit. First, as we were gearing up, he said, "what, are you planning on going into tech diving someday?" He was on me like stink on a pig about my wrist mounted compass...telling me I should take it back immediately and get a proper console. He kept telling me my navigation skills sucked and it was because of my compass - while he was lavishing praise on my console wielding buddy. He told me I should get a bungee or something to tie my 7' hose off to my tank because "it is too long"...and this was all before we got in the water.

After we surfaced from the AOW navigation dive (IMHO, I did fine...I was right on the money and found everything he made me find) he said (to my buddy), "wow, you are a natural born navigator, which is more than I can say for froggie boy. Why the hell would you want to kick like that?" He was referring to my frog kicks and modified frogs that I was using since I don't really use a flutter much at all except in open water when I am far from the bottom. I was tempted, at this point, to cram my fist down his goddamn throat or at least to mention something about his technique being piss-poor (his proper flutter kick looked like a WWII bombing run when he cruised the bottom of the quarry) since he was blinding all the students with his silt throwing kicks. I may not be god's gift to navigation, but my buddy could do no wrong and her buoyancy was a sight to behold. She had a hell of a time descending. He complained that I didn't "descend quickly enough" when he gave the thumbs down, but I guess he had his ****ing eyes closed when I had to swim back up to the surface, abort my horizontal descent, grab my buddy by the BC straps, and yank her down to about 10'-15' so her suit would compress so she could stay down. She was so underweighted she could not even descend at all (she would dump the air from her back inflated BC in a vertical position and try to "scull" her way down with her hands. I kept telling her to pike, but she never tried it). After the dive, I gave her 4# of my weight to put in her trim pockets so she could at least get down. After that, she would descend ok and stop when her fins or stomach hit the bottom...buoyancy all over the place. He NEVER mentioned one word about her buoyancy or lack thereof.

That was dive #1. On the deep dive I think he could tell I was getting pissed because he kept his mouth shut. On the night dive, he complained that I didn't have my backup lights on a wrist lanyard. I told him they were "backup" lights, and I can use them clipped off to my harness just fine and that I was not buying a "proper light" because I was saving for a canister light. He didn't like that.

On the search and recovery and wreck dives, he wasn't as vocal, but when we were heading back to shore (at about 30') he gave the thumbs up. We all started to ascend, when my Vyper gave me a safety stop as I hit 19' or so. I hovered and finned around looking at fish, etc. for 3 minutes and ascended when my computer told me I had finished my safety stop. As soon as I broke the surface, he said, "normally, we _ascend_ when the thumbs up signal is given." I noticed everyone (including my buddy...who is NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAVE MY SIDE) blew off his/her safety stop and followed him up. I told him, "well, my computer mandated a safety stop, so I thought it prudent to do what my computer says." He replied, "well, you shouldn't have to stop on a dive that shallow...that computer is probably wrong."

It's ashame that SCUBA is no longer simple. Seems like there is always someone that wants to complicate it. JUST DIVE & HAVE FUN DOING IT! EVERYTIME! You don't need to learn all the extra tricks to dive a few times a yr. on your vacation. And the industry has proven this. Type in DIR on any search engine and you will find what it mean. Death Incident Report! There are to many good honest DIR people that will just let the average diver go by and not say a word. My big PICKLE is the DIR divers that say everyone else is LACKING in skills and so on and so on. They simply don't stop. They are simply not in diving to have fun. They get off by putting down the other guy. That's there idea of fun.
In my opinion, a good diver is someone with common sense. Someone who has the sense to stay off the bottom & monitor air supplies, etc. etc.
Let's everyone just forget DIR or whoever and have fun. I saw a bumper sticker the other day at a quarry that said PADI SUCKS! I'M PADI, NAUI, CMAS, YMCA & formally NASDS. There all fine, it comes down to the student and the instructor and there relationship.
Everyone....Just dive to have fun please!!!!!

Hey O-ring,

You gotta be kidding, if that story is true you were wasting your time and money with that 'instructor', i would be on the phone what that instructor's agency!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom