anyone ever use a scooter? or have one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ridden an X-Scooter and man are they fun... lot's of power and speed. Pulls a diver in doubles and stages easily. Here's some of the dives the guys have been doing on them... Sounds like the type of tool your looking for

www.ScooterDives.com
X Scooter dive reports

oh Reefhound check out the cool videos link

I have an X scooter, and it's a blast. It's also very easy to get yourself into trouble with any scooter. It one more thing to manage and tangle yourself up with. They can quite any time, or simply run out of battery. Or you can get busy solving some other problem and wrap the tow line around the trigger, Mr. Toads wild ride.

It's very very easy to loose track of your buddy. He's off the trigger for a second or two, and your not, and you are out of visual range in a heart beat.

I'm building time on the scooter on very benign dives. Dives where scooter failure won't kill me. (My X has never failed, runs like a champ, but I plan for the worst)

Start easy, get trained. They are huge fun, easily the most entertaining dive gear I have (after a BP&W of course :wink: )

Tobin

I have an older Tekna. it is fast and efficient. It is heavy at 50 lbs and a pain to carry about and transport BUT in the water the litle Tekna is a goer. The SeaDoos are a joke, the Tekna makes more thrust than two SeaDoos and that on it's lowest setting. It would take four SeaDoos to produce the same thrust as the Tekna on high, maybe more. Out of production isnce the late 80s they can be seen on ebay regularly and parts are avaialble from DPV Repairs. The same design exists todays as the Mako.

The SeaDoos and all the cheapo units use a small 12V motor running through a plastic (or ocasionally pot metal) gearbox. The Tekna, Mako, Gavins, etc use the same basic 24V GE direct drive motor, adjustable prop and shroud.

All that said, if it came down to a good kayak like a Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro or similar and a scooter, then get the kayak. N

My dive master had a scooter. I was asking him about it and he told me that when you use a scooter you never drive it further than you have swam. If you want to drive it from one location to another you have to have swam it at least once. This way you never go further than you are capable of swimming back.

DPV’s are no different than any other piece of diving equipment. You need to know its condition, range, capabilities and your ability with it.

They are a useful tool and a lot of fun. I have two. One is 34# of thrust and will run for an hour wide open. The other one is 68# of thrust and will also run for an hour wide open.

They are a tool, not a toy.

This is just one of the many toys.
http://www.pooltoy.com/sutamoposc.html

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom