Anyone find a set of gear floating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
This is too bad. If the BC is full of air, I agree it may show up in Ireland, if it leaks down it will sink before arriving. It is still too funny to imagine. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :lotsalove: Maybe this should also be for LOSER :lotsalove: :dork2: DAN tags are a good idea, I have them in case I have a dumb a@@ attack, which can be the only excuse your buddy has:rofl3: :rofl3:

Walter:

The Kowloon Bridge (sister-ship to the much more famous Derbyshire) was 970' overall.
Oriskany's hull was 820' at the waterline and would fit the Kowloon's 840' cargo hold lengthwise with room to spare :wink:
Kowloon's beam was 153' while the Mighty O's beam was a "mere" 129'.
Room to spare I tell ya. :14:

Definitely a funny post! I'm sure you're brother isn't laughing though! What an expensive lesson to learn.

Almity is correct... I'd definitely advise the police and possibly even the CG about the gear. They will most certainly be looking for a body if it's found. :wink:

thedaddy:
I'm no voice of wisdom, but I think I'm a reasonable guy and I sometimes do this when kayak diving.

"Ship happens"...I previously had my kayak anchor attached with a carabiner and what I "thought" was a heavy duty split ring. The last time I went kayak diving, a few minutes after I put the anchor down, the split ring failed...OMIGOSH, suddenly the boat was adrift...THANKFULLY I had just gotten in the water and donned my gear, and my buddy was still in his yak right behind me...he caught my boat and I went down for the anchor and all was well once I tied the anchor line directly to the boat.

Apparently there is no such thing as a "heavy duty" split ring...I sure was lucky...I was .61 mile offshore and many blocks south of where I parked my car...a VERY long swim back.

deepstops:
The Kowloon Bridge (sister-ship to the much more famous Derbyshire) was 970' overall.
Oriskany's hull was 820' at the waterline and would fit the Kowloon's 840' cargo hold lengthwise with room to spare :wink:
Kowloon's beam was 153' while the Mighty O's beam was a "mere" 129'.
Room to spare I tell ya. :14:

First, you didn't say the Oriskany would "float" in her cargo hold, you said it would "fit" in her cargo hold. If memory serves, the Oriskany is 910 feet in length, which is too long to "fit" in a cargo hold 840 feet long.

Next, assuming we let you slide and change your story from "fit" to "float," do you have information that let's us know it will actually float in the hold? How much water did the Oriskany draw? How deep was the Kowloon Bridge's hold? If it were to be placed to float in the hold, would there be room for the superstructure of the Oriskany not to be smashed into the superstructure of the Kowloon Bridge? While the beam of the Kowloon Bridge is wide enough to accomodate the Oriskany, how wide was it's cargo hold?

He did contact the Sheriff's office and Marine Wildlife just after it happened. He didn't want them to be looking for him needlessly. still a dumb ***** thing to do for so long a time and not be checking on his gear.
animatedgif1.gif

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Walter:
First, you didn't say the Oriskany would "float" in her cargo hold, you said it would "fit" in her cargo hold. If memory serves, the Oriskany is 910 feet in length, which is too long to "fit" in a cargo hold 840 feet long.

Next, assuming we let you slide and change your story from "fit" to "float," do you have information that let's us know it will actually float in the hold? How much water did the Oriskany draw? How deep was the Kowloon Bridge's hold? If it were to be placed to float in the hold, would there be room for the superstructure of the Oriskany not to be smashed into the superstructure of the Kowloon Bridge? While the beam of the Kowloon Bridge is wide enough to accomodate the Oriskany, how wide was it's cargo hold?

I "fit" in my pants but my feet still stick out. Funny that....

Kowloon Bridge (and her five sister-ships) had a draft of 55' when fully loaded or running in full displacement. That doesn't include their 22' of freeboard. The Mighty O drew just 30.5'.

Her hatch covers (which may have been why the Derbyshire sank) were spec'd at 138' wide. I stand by my earlier statement :wink:

For the record, all six ships lived short lives as far as ships go.

frogman_5:
So let's go dive the Kowloon Bridge before she's cut up for scrap!:11:

http://www.divesitedirectory.co.uk/kowloon_bridge_wreck_dive_petition.html

If you're serious, I'll go. Let's start planning. August is a great time to dive her. Aquaventures is the shop to dive with (I already did on-site reconnaissance in 2003 but didn't do any diving).

I'll also point out the U-260 is sitting in 145' with her hatches open nearby.

This will give you an idea idea of what else there is to dive nearby: http://www.aquaventures.ie/wcwrecks.htm

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom