Anyone going to Monterey this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolantej:
Hey Chuck, thanks for the spelling correction. :wink:

According to California Diving news, Eric's can be accessed by kayak from Lover's Point or Otter Cove. Del Monte was a fairly easy entry when I went last. Again, I'm probably gonna go to most sites via kayak.

There are multiple ways to spell it. Amtrack, Amphtrack, Amtrak, Amphtrak all come to
mind. Amtrack actually seems most common, but creates confusion with the railroad
folks (I had someone trying to pry the numbers for the "two railroad cars off Monterey"
out of me. No kidding.)

Kayaks are boats. Eric's would be very doable by yak.

bolantej:
Cool. I plan to be there through Sunday. Let me know if you'd like to buddy up.

Actually, since I never dove the Breakwater, I was planning to hire an instructor for a guided dive (plus I will need to rent equipment .... I can't load it all on my motorcycle).

But, if you are an expert of the Breakwater, I will be more than glad to dive with you. How many dives you have?

Regards,

I_AM

The breakwater is a pretty easy dive, and if you get there by 8 am on any weekend there are lots of people gearing up on the grass area by the stairs who would probably be glad to have you join them. Alternately, you can walk over to either Monterey Bay Dive Company or Aquarius II and find people filling tanks who are good prospective buddies.

Breakwater is basically an out and back dive along the rocks, with probably a max depth near the end at about 60'. Unless you want to get fancy and kick out to the metridium fields, which would be good to do with someone who's done it before.

I lost count really, but I've had a good 50+ dives total, including dives at Breakwater, Del Monte, Lover's Point, Point Lobos, etc. Breakwater is (usually) always good for an easy entry/exit. I have yet to find the metridium fields, but I'd love to one day.

gotta run! (working)

Hinalo:
The breakwater is a pretty easy dive, and if you get there by 8 am on any weekend there are lots of people gearing up on the grass area by the stairs who would probably be glad to have you join them. Alternately, you can walk over to either Monterey Bay Dive Company or Aquarius II and find people filling tanks who are good prospective buddies.

Breakwater is basically an out and back dive along the rocks, with probably a max depth near the end at about 60'. Unless you want to get fancy and kick out to the metridium fields, which would be good to do with someone who's done it before.

Hi,
how far is the metridium field from shore? Here in Laguna Beach when we dive Deadman or the barge we kick for quite sometime .... almost 400 yards.
How deep is the metridium field?

If I had my own gear with me I would not have any problem buddying up with almost anyone (I am not saying I am a super -expert ... but with almost 150 shore dives in South California I think I can manage most of the scenarios) .... but since I am renting ... I rather prefer to have someone watching over me.

Regards,

I_AM

Hi! I'll be diving Sat. in Monterey. I've never been before, but I've heard it's cold. What's the expected water temp? Thanks!

wonderwoman9000:
Hi! I'll be diving Sat. in Monterey. I've never been before, but I've heard it's cold. What's the expected water temp? Thanks!

In the range of 50 to 53 would be likely.

Anyone have a link to good directions to get to the metridium fields? Been googling around but haven't found anything clear enough.

swim out from teh west-end of san carlos beach, and line yourself up with Reeside Ave (the street that goes up the hill). Swim out aways on the surface, keeping yourself lined up with that street. If in doubt, err to the east (closer to teh breakwater wall). Drop in about 25-30' and swim due N. You should hit a pipe soon (within a couple minutes) that is about 3' in diameter. It's really big. The pipe more or less runs 30deg. Follow the pipe to the end (it ends in about 50') and follow the same heading. You should start seeing metridium in a hundred feet or so. That puts you more or less on teh SE end of the field. Good luck.

thanks rhlee for the directions. I will try to give it a go and report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom