Anyone going up to Mackinaw City or Mackinaw Island during Labor Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junbug1970

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heading up to Mackinaw Island or Mackinaw City for Labor Day weekend?

Looking for a dive buddy to dive on sunday the 5th or monday the 6th.

Since this will be my first time diving in mackinaw, does anyone know of any diving point of interest (wrecks and etc)?

thanks

Junus

I will be in Brockville that weekend, but I can tell you that there are many good wrecks out there. Abyss Charters and Straits Scuba Center both leave out of St. Ignace near the Driftwood Inn. Talk to both of them if you can, I am sure that somebody can take you out that weekend.

The wrecks that you will wish to dive will probably vary with your skill level, but don't miss the Sandusky if you can help it!

As diverbrian observed both Abyss and Straits Scuba offer dive charters out of St. Ignace. They both also have websites with information on the specific major area shipwrecks.
The St. Ignace Chamber of Commerce also has information on the Preserve and has the Preserve's new 2004 Field Guide available (you have to join for $25 to get it). The Guide is very good and probably worth the money if you will be going back again.

Thank you for infoes guys. I will be dragging my boat, but i will stop by or call both charters, and perhaps they can offer me some info on wreck coodinates and diving orientations.

Any of you by any chance have any diving coordinates?

thank you again and happy diving

Junus

Junbug1970:
Thank you for infoes guys. I will be dragging my boat, but i will stop by or call both charters, and perhaps they can offer me some info on wreck coodinates and diving orientations.

Any of you by any chance have any diving coordinates?

thank you again and happy diving

Junus
The coordinates for most of the wrecks are published. For $25.00 you can join the group the Mackninaw Maritime Association and a book of most of the known major wrecks in the area comes with the membership. This includes wreck drawings/history and GPS cooridinates. It really is a good buy. Talk to either of the two operators that we have mentioned.

My bad! This guide has been mentioned in this thread already.

I have a compiled list of coordinates that includes the ones used by the Preserve Association and the Rec Diver (Straits Scuba). They are GPS based. Some of the published coordinates shown as lat/lon are conversions of loran based numbers. Because the two systems use different systems (satellites vs TD's), the numbers do not evenly convert and substantial differences can occur. The Straits Scuba shop has the compilation and you can reach them at 906-643-0000. They also post a board with a list of buoys in place at their shop in St. Ignace. Good diving.

diverbrian:
I will be in Brockville that weekend, but I can tell you that there are many good wrecks out there. Abyss Charters and Straits Scuba Center both leave out of St. Ignace near the Driftwood Inn. Talk to both of them if you can, I am sure that somebody can take you out that weekend.

The wrecks that you will wish to dive will probably vary with your skill level, but don't miss the Sandusky if you can help it!

Go with Abyss Dive Charters as they do a WONDERFUL JOB. Also, bring enough tanks for the dives you are planning as air fills are not always available

Thank you soo much for the help. Unfortunately at this time i will not be diving, but thank you again for the help and information

Up there this past weekend. Points of interest depend on experience. The Eber Ward is one of my favorites. The Young and the Barnum were good dives too - better vis and no current. Went end to end on the Cedarville - vis was bad on the outside but great inside.

Junbug1970:
Anyone heading up to Mackinaw Island or Mackinaw City for Labor Day weekend?

Looking for a dive buddy to dive on sunday the 5th or monday the 6th.

Since this will be my first time diving in mackinaw, does anyone know of any diving point of interest (wrecks and etc)?

thanks

Junus

Back
Top Bottom