Anyone had a chance to try out the new Aeris Accel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my problem: I need to decide between the Hollis 2 and the Accels. I can't try them out; I have to order through the web. Which one? If you have tried both, which do you prefer? I'd love to have the more flexible Mantaray but they are not available anymore. Does the Hollis require a different stroke, i.e. a quicker flutter? I like a longer kick. Accels used to be cheaper but now they are $100 vs. Hollis at $130. I've got Subgear 5 ml booties ML which works out to about a size 8.5 to 9. Advice seems to run to go small on the Hollis. What about the Accels? Thanks. Any advice will help.

Here's my problem: I need to decide between the Hollis 2 and the Accels. I can't try them out; I have to order through the web. Which one? If you have tried both, which do you prefer? I'd love to have the more flexible Mantaray but they are not available anymore. Does the Hollis require a different stroke, i.e. a quicker flutter? I like a longer kick. Accels used to be cheaper but now they are $100 vs. Hollis at $130. I've got Subgear 5 ml booties ML which works out to about a size 8.5 to 9. Advice seems to run to go small on the Hollis. What about the Accels? Thanks. Any advice will help.

I own/owned both. I liked the F2s but the small was too big so I sold them. I haven't used the Accels enough to give a definitive opinion. IMO the F2s seem more robust.

You'd likely be SM/MD in the Accels and a Regular in the F2s. Be warned the foot pocket on the F2 is huge. If you can, buy them from somewhere that has a return policy. Buying fins online is a risky business it's bitten me on the ass a few times. Good luck and welcome to SB.

Thanks for the quick responses. Kharon, I tried your link to the Velocity X3’s but am looking at the Accels because I want shorter travel fins. I think the Velocity are full-sized. Buddhasummer, thanks for the welcome. The F2’s might be better but I called Leisurepro (another post suggested that I call them directly for better prices) and they will sell me the Accels for $50 (usually $100). Worth trying. They have the F2's for $100 (usually $130). I'm still worried about the kick: I like to use my butt/thighs. I don't want to do a bent knee flutter. Do I have to with shorter fins?

Both fins are of similar stiffness, the F2s possibly a little stiffer. Stiff fins don't flutter as well as softer fins and will require more leg strength. I predominantly frog kick and both fins frog kick quite well.

The F2’s might be better but I called Leisurepro (another post suggested that I call them directly for better prices) and they will sell me the Accels for $50 (usually $100).

I would jump on the Accel's. I have a pair for travel and they are outstanding. They fit in my carry-on suitcase, are light and don't seem to have any performance penalty for their shortness. The straps that they come with are as stretchy as spring straps. The posts fit the Aeris spring fittings so I put the connectors on both my Velocities and the Accels. That way I can click the springs from one to the other in about 10 seconds. If I didn't already have springs I would have been happy with the stock straps.

As far as finning - I found them no different than the Velocities or my Cressi Free-Frogs. They seemed a wee bit different at first but that disappeared after I used them for a couple of dives. They actually do better with a straight leg style rather than a bent knee kick. Also, LeisurePro will pay for shipping back and exchange if they don't fit. I got the XL/2XL first (way too big) and exchanged them for the Regular (fit perfect). One other thing I will add - the Accels slide on and off boots much easier than the Velocities - The material doesnt have a lot of friction.

I would jump on the Accel's. I have a pair for travel and they are outstanding. They fit in my carry-on suitcase, are light and don't seem to have any performance penalty for their shortness. The straps that they come with are as stretchy as spring straps. The posts fit the Aeris spring fittings so I put the connectors on both my Velocities and the Accels. That way I can click the springs from one to the other in about 10 seconds. If I didn't already have springs I would have been happy with the stock straps.

As far as finning - I found them no different than the Velocities or my Cressi Free-Frogs. They seemed a wee bit different at first but that disappeared after I used them for a couple of dives. They actually do better with a straight leg style rather than a bent knee kick. Also, LeisurePro will pay for shipping back and exchange if they don't fit. I got the XL/2XL first (way too big) and exchanged them for the Regular (fit perfect). One other thing I will add - the Accels slide on and off boots much easier than the Velocities - The material doesnt have a lot of friction.

Just to add to Kharons post, ScubaPro Nova bungee straps can be fitted to the Accels, that's what I did, they snap right on no mods required.

I like the standard Accel straps and so did the boat crew, very easy to manipulate and very secure.

N

I like the standard Accel straps and so did the boat crew, very easy to manipulate and very secure.N

And very stretchy and a lot lighter than springs for travel.

Is it possible for the heel straps to tear or dry-rot near the attachment point? Would it be smart to pack an extra heel strap on trips? I have not had a chance to play with them, but I'm very interested.

Back
Top Bottom