Anyone heading to BHB this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seastardiver625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heard the conditions at the Blue Heron Bridge have been phenomenal recently. Making plans to dive there this weekend. Anyone else planning on diving there Sat?

Thabsk johnl45!

I was told it was at 3:05pm. Glad you posted, I would have missed it high tide!

Out of curiosity I looked on saltwatertides.com. I get 3:04 pm for Saturday as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2146.PNG
    IMG_2146.PNG
    267.4 KB · Views: 29
Definitely 3:04. Can one squeeze in two dives in one sitting considering that the best time to dive is said to half hour before high tide to half hour after high tide? Do conditions outside this peak time deteriorate so quickly as far as vis and current is concerned that a second dive is out of a question?

The window for diving can be more than 30 minutes before and after high tide, but you have to dive the areas with least current first or duck being pilings to be sheltered from the current. When I used to dive the bridge regularly, I routinely got in two hour dives and on occasion did 3 hour dives with my 120 cf steel tank. Outside of 30-90 minutes before and after the high tide, the current makes it almost impossible to dive plus the outgoing tide brings extremely poor vis

Definitely 3:04. Can one squeeze in two dives in one sitting considering that the best time to dive is said to half hour before high tide to half hour after high tide? Do conditions outside this peak time deteriorate so quickly as far as vis and current is concerned that a second dive is out of a question?
The short answer is that you may be able to get two dives in depending on how long you stay for each dive. Due to the shallow depth and my SAC rate I normally only get one very long dive in and call it a day.
I'm not a big fan of messing with the pollutants that sometimes come with the outgoing tides so I'm normally out of the water before I have to even consider a second dive. I would rather get into the water earlier than stay later, so you may consider getting in a hour before if the conditions permit and that should give you a nice long extended dive.

I try to time the dive so that the dive is over about 30 minutes after high tide. You get better vis from incoming ocean water, rather than polluted bay water on the flush cycle.

I try to time the dive so that the dive is over about 30 minutes after high tide. You get better vis from incoming ocean water, rather than polluted bay water on the flush cycle.

This.
You may have to jump piling to piling but its worth it. Got to hang with 8 eagle rays last Sunday East Bridge, North side while I hid behind that flying bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom