Anyone know what this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugs makes it look so cool though!

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Oh, sure, it's funny when Bugs Bunny does it....

I looked around and didn't find that number associated with 40mm.

The format is right for the numbers I did find for the shells.

Perhaps it is an old one that isn't used any more.

Let's hope it is an inert training shape.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
I found this this morning in the local lake at 12 feet. I was never in the military so I have no clue what this is fired from.
It says on it:
CTG 40MM
M407A
AMM LOT MA-52-54 (last two numbers hard to read, a guess)

See the picture below.
(edit: Picture is in next post, sorry)

Anyone know?
Thanks!

It's a practice grenade, yellow smoke, for an M-79 (or newer) 40mm grenade launcher. I don't think it would arm if it was still in the casing (if smoke even spin arms, I dunno), but even the propellant charge could put a mighty axxwhipping on you.

Handle with care.

Next time, mark it and call the Sheriff first.

Custer once bubbled...

It's a practice grenade, yellow smoke, for an M-79 (or newer) 40mm grenade launcher. I don't think it would arm if it was still in the casing (if smoke even spin arms, I dunno), but even the propellant charge could put a mighty axxwhipping on you.

Handle with care.

Right on the money, Custer! I was just leaving for a dive when the Sheriff showed up. He made a call to our local Air Force base (FAFB) and said that they would send someone out.
I asked, "Do I have to stay. I have another dive at 7pm."
"Go," he said. "I'm SSI."
When I got home about an hour ago, my wife said the Air Force guys came and took one look at the thing and said it is a practice grenade. Yellow smoke. They took it away.
Darn... Well, at least I have the picture.

Custer once bubbled...

Handle with care.

Dumb squid question:
About how much does the payload weigh and about how far does the propellant chuck it?

40mm HE rounds fired from an M203 launcher used to be good out to around 250 meters for area targets (e.g. general) and to 200-225 meters for point targets (e.g. specific). The ballistic trajectory is not flat, however; the trajectory follows a relatively high arc. Accuracy at maximum effective ranges, as with most firearms, depends on the grenadier.

By the way, the point cannot be overstressed:

If anyone on this board finds ordnance or munitions like this, even underwater, do not touch it. Don't bring it home. It can be unstable, and can be very dangerous. Mark it and contact the local sheriff's office.

Doc Intrepid once bubbled...
40mm HE rounds fired from an M203 launcher used to be good out to around 250 meters for area targets (e.g. general) and to 200-225 meters for point targets (e.g. specific). The ballistic trajectory is not flat, however; the trajectory follows a relatively high arc. Accuracy at maximum effective ranges, as with most firearms, depends on the grenadier.

Yikes!!

That's more than enough to do some serious interior decorating.

...and that's _before_ we set off the HE.

Definitely not kid stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Hi guys. I registered here just to post to this thread. The M-407 is a practice 40mm round that contains two pellets of RDX explosive. The propellant is only a few grains worth, but it will throw the projo 400 meters. Also, the M-407 has a fragmentation ball filled with yellow dye for marking. It is the same as a M-406 HE except it has no HE filler. It has a spin armed fuse, so odds of it going off are slim. Remember what the other guys said and never touch something that you are unfimilliar with. The M-407 is very capable of taking your arm off. It contains less than 1/4oz of RDX (high explosive) but that's enough to do a number on you if you're holding it. The practice rounds are legal to posses (I have two), and I also have a registered M-203 to fire them out of. Be careful out there!! GROG18b Here's a photo of mine!
grog@ptd.net

grog18b once bubbled...
Also, the M-407 has a fragmentation ball filled with yellow dye for marking. It is the same as a M-406 HE except it has no HE filler. It has a spin armed fuse, so odds of it going off are slim. grog@ptd.net

Does spin armed mean that it arms with a centrifugal force type trigger?

Rick,

That's really cool. Don't feel bad, I would've probably done the same thing. And for what it's worth... I thought your comment was totally hilarious.
:giggle: :goofy: :boom:

David

Back
Top Bottom