Anyone seen snakes while diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I was present at that political summit. I didn't see the actual agreement, per se; but I did manage to see the treaty that was signed :cool2:

I thought treaties were signed on sheepskin :confused:

Do you realise what you did is illegal?

LCRA - Regulations Read section 13

Posting photos of it on the internet is dumb.

(I like snakes. I also dive Tom Hughes fairly often. Would rather not worry about being hit by a stray spear in the lovely Travis murk)

** First, what I did is not illegal in any way. I did nothing.
- As I had mentioned when I told the story, a friend shot the snake, I did not. -

* Also, I read Chapter 13 as you requested and pasted it below. Chapter 13 speaks of hunting, firearms, and other weapons. Thus, Chapter 13 does not apply to fishing.
- A speargun is a device designed for fishing underwater. Chapter 13 does not apply to the sport of fishing, or spearfishing.

Here is Chapter 13: FIREARMS, HUNTING AND TRAPPING

The transportation, possession or use of firearms, or any other type of weapon, and any and all types of hunting on LCRA land or LCRA water are illegal under state law and are strictly prohibited. No person shall place poisons or mechanical devices such as traps and snares on LCRA land.

Here is a speargun as defined by Texas Parks and Wildlife:

Speargun: Any hand operated device designed and used for propelling a spear, but does not include the crossbow. May be used to take NONGAME fish only.

I guess that one could argue that he (not I) had hunted, and used the speargun to take a snake. However, we were fishing (20-30' deep), and my friend could argue that while fishing, a snake had come upon him and was acting agressively and he, due to his legal right to protect himself, had shot the snake out of fear of being bitten.

Regardless, he and I both do not dislike snakes either. And, I doubt you will ever be hit by a 'stray spear' - more likely, you'll hook yourself on a 'stray' hook left, discarded or lost by a fisherman using rods and reels, and possibly get tangled in the 1000's of feet of fishing line that they (rod/reel fishermen) are continually discarding in the lakes. What trash does a spearfisher leave behind - none. How many fish does a rod and reel fisherman take, or one using trot lines with rows of hooks - lots. How many fish does a spearfisherman take - very few, if any.

* I also highlighted something in red *

Thanks -

I watched a 4 ft water snake and a catfish go at if for a good 15-20 minutes in the Nueces River. The snake had latched on to a 2+ pound catfish just behind the stomach. I was concerned it could have been a Water Mocosin (sp) but after 15-20 minutes and the catfish still had plenty of fight so I assumed it was non-venomous. The one with gills eventually won the day. The defeated snake bolted to the surface swimming within just a few feet of me

I think snakes are generally misunderstood. I once met a Rattle Snake at the Valhalla Missile Silo down in the old in the command center and we managed to come to a agreement. :wink:

Yeah, Frank is a real "blood" brother to snakes. He has a reeeaaal "close" connection to them. :D

I've never seen snakes (in the water when I was) while diving, but a few days ago me and my itty bitty lap dog were goin' for a walk quite aways from my pond ('bout 50 yards or so) and she alerted on a bug. The bug was on a blade of grass and when I reached down to poke the bug a bit... I saw a cottonmouth about two inches below the grass...right next to my hand.

Thank goodness the snake didn't move...but I did.

Sound familiar Frank? :D

Snakes are cool but believe me they bite and when they do they mess you up.

' Never seen one myself any deeper then in 5 feet of water. That makes them like motor boat props and most small sailboat keels. As long as your 10 feet down they probably won't get you :crafty:

' Never seen one myself any deeper then in 5 feet of water. That makes them like motor boat props and most small sailboat keels. As long as your 10 feet down they probably won't get you :crafty:

I have attempted to explain this to people and I just get crazy looks. It is almost like people believe that snakes dive to 60 ft or something. Crazy.

Yup...I was keeping an american eskimo dog for awhile several years ago for my step-daughter. He did kinda, but not as strong, did the same thing that my little lap dog did...kept the snake's attention. The american eskimo ran by the snake and I didn't see it, then I reached down to pick up a stick to clean out the yard a bit....OH SHIRT!!!

Damn cottonmouth about a foot from my hand.

I have the sneakin' feeling that Sophie, my lap dog, didn't alert on the bug...she was all over the place.

My uncle in Uvalde always told me when we went huntin' for arrow heads on his property..."Look under them bushes first before you reach under 'em, rattlers."

I used to catch them things as a kid for fun. Guess I did OK...and I made a deal with those I seen several years ago here...You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

Seems to have worked so far.

Still have had zero problems with snakes under water...ain't even seen one.

I don't even wanna go through what Frank did for a rattler bite.

Oh, it's above water you need to watch for. Duuuhh.

Edit: Ruh Row...I forgot to say that my "little lap dog" is a medium sized dog (63 pounds).

Siberian Husky.

Pictures available upon request. :D

Last edited:
Well, I was a dive captain last year at Hippy Hollow for the LTUC, and we had a bunch of people in the water. Well, I was freediving and pulling trash out of the water, and two divers swam by, and one of them decided to do as the "locals" out there. Needless to say, there was a white snake that went cruising by. Hippies...

Back
Top Bottom