Anyone use Small Doubles for Recreational Dives??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of steel 38s @1800psi that I dive locally. I dive them pure old school so there is no need for a wing since they are about -2 full and +2 empty. Not really practical from a gas perspective but to cool factor is way high.

I am 6'3 and weigh about 210 lbs. I do most of my recreational diving in double 120's (I breath a little heavy and like redundancy as I often go solo). Not a problem, I can carry and manage the tanks easily.

Out here the boat captain pulls tanks into the boat after the dives. Somehow I don't think I am his favourite customer.

twin 40's with a single Apexs wing

047.jpg

without a wing

062-1.jpg

twin 72's no wing (but have also used a single Apexs wing)

Picture2010-9.jpg

how do you guys get away with using 50's and 40's do u just dive super shallow or you dont really breath air at all, just have tanks so people think u do.

Lately ive been hooked with diving my twins especially on the deeper sites withing the recreational limits. The only thing is that my tanks are a tad big and a little bit of a bother to use on the Open water dives 20 - ~70 ft. i use big old LP98 and well there pretty over kill for shallow dives. And frankly as much as i like dressing up as a spaceman in my dry suit. it draws a lot of attentions from vacationers and even a lot of frequent OW divers here in Miami.

ive been throwing around the idea in my head of the use of small light weight baby doubles for shallower dives, and leaving the big boys for deeper water where they can make the difference. ive been looking around the board and have found that some ppl do it, but very little on how practical it is or issues with its etc.

So do any of you guys dive small doubles like from 40cuft - 70cuft ??

i was interested in putting together some AL 63's but again cant find anything on that...
im interested in knowing how they trim out, and also what wing to use.

am i going crazy?? :confused:

Double Steel 50's... use them a lot. I've got some pictures of my fiancee diving them too. They trim out great.

I was trying to double up two S50s but could not get bands to fit as they are narrower than S63s. Found a second hand pair of Australian Luxfer 7.9L HP and bought a new Dive Rite wing yesterday and they fit very well, but have not used them yet. Dived the wing today with single 63s just to get used to it before I go on my trip to Anilao next weekend.

I still want to double up my S50s though

Lately I've been diving a pair of steel 23s. I usually get about three hours out of them, regardless of depth.

Lately I've been diving a pair of steel 23s. I usually get about three hours out of them, regardless of depth.

Rebreathers will do that.

I often dive LP 72's. Two decent rec dives are possible from a single set.

My "single tank rig" is a pair of LP45's :)

My 12 year old dives a set of al30's I doubled up.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom