anyone using a regulator necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now I use a integrated Octo and was trying to determine if I wanted to switch to long/short hose configuration with a necklace. or keep my integrated Octo setup.

Probably the thing I like best about having my backup reg on a necklace is always knowing where it is and having it ready for immediate use. It's been handy for self rescue on a couple occasions when I've gotten tumbled by waves or fallen over while pulling on a fin. You may also find it more streamlined than an integrated octo once you switch to a standard inflator hose assembly.

Regarding the primary hose, there are a couple options. The longer 5ft and 7ft hoses were originally intended for use in overhead environments, but also are quite handy for open water. They allow both divers to maintain horizontal trim and give enough room to sort out gear issues if possible. The other option is a 40 inch primary hose routed just under the right arm and fed into the second stage through a swivel. This is a streamlined configuration that also allows more room between divers during an air share.

The technical training that is given during cave diving is as follows:

1) You have two regulators.
2) Your primary is on a 7' hose
3) Your secondary is on a short hose and is held with the "necklace" around your neck so that it is easily reachable.

The goal is such that you could literally duck your head, and grab the regulator without using your hands at all - that can be very difficult to do in practice, but, if you work at it, it is not impossible.

The theory behind breathing the long hose is that if your partner is out of air the last thing you want to do is to hand him a regulator that is of unknown state. The regulator in your mouth is known to be working so he should be able to simply take it out of your mouth and breathe from it. Then, if your 2nd regulator is not working (perhaps it got clogged from some debris in the cave), you will buddy breathe with him until you resolve the situation with your 2nd reg, or, you will buddy breathe all the way out if necessary (I have never needed to buddy breath).

The other thing is that a diver who is out of air will quickly see the air bubbles coming from your working reg and will go for that first. Let him have it. The cave diver uses a 7' regulator so you can swim one in front of another - the doner is always in front of the other when going through single file restrictions. Open water rigs do not typically require a 7' hose, but a 5' hose is nice to have to you can still swim side by side or have some room. Some cave divers just use their 7' hose.

When cave diving, the loop goes down the right side, underneath the canister light up around the neck and back in front again, coming from the right side once again, so both regs come from the right side. When your buddy grabs the reg from your mouth, you duck your head, releasing most of the hose, then use your right hand to release the hose from under the canister, freeing up the full length of the hose.

BTW, my necklace is made of surgical tubing secured by zip ties (2 on each side) and was made when I first took my cave diving class about 20 years ago.

Carl

The technical training that is given during cave diving is as follows:

1) You have two regulators.
2) Your primary is on a 7' hose
3) Your secondary is on a short hose and is held with the "necklace" around your neck so that it is easily reachable.

The goal is such that you could literally duck your head, and grab the regulator without using your hands at all - that can be very difficult to do in practice, but, if you work at it, it is not impossible.

The theory behind breathing the long hose is that if your partner is out of air the last thing you want to do is to hand him a regulator that is of unknown state. The regulator in your mouth is known to be working so he should be able to simply take it out of your mouth and breathe from it. Then, if your 2nd regulator is not working (perhaps it got clogged from some debris in the cave), you will buddy breathe with him until you resolve the situation with your 2nd reg, or, you will buddy breathe all the way out if necessary (I have never needed to buddy breath).

The other thing is that a diver who is out of air will quickly see the air bubbles coming from your working reg and will go for that first. Let him have it. The cave diver uses a 7' regulator so you can swim one in front of another - the doner is always in front of the other when going through single file restrictions. Open water rigs do not typically require a 7' hose, but a 5' hose is nice to have to you can still swim side by side or have some room. Some cave divers just use their 7' hose.

When cave diving, the loop goes down the right side, underneath the canister light up around the neck and back in front again, coming from the right side once again, so both regs come from the right side. When your buddy grabs the reg from your mouth, you duck your head, releasing most of the hose, then use your right hand to release the hose from under the canister, freeing up the full length of the hose.

BTW, my necklace is made of surgical tubing secured by zip ties (2 on each side) and was made when I first took my cave diving class about 20 years ago.

Carl

Well said. This is how I dive. Only difference is my my homemade necklace is made out of thin bungee cord.

My buddy uses one with a regular length hose, it's loose and stretchy enough to be easy to pull free as he'd be donating it. Nice tidy set up.

I still use the Scubapro lanyards that came with my 109 and Pilot. They are just the right length and have stainless steel alligator clips that have worked flawlessly for 40 years. They keep my second stage from flopping around and banging into things, or possibly getting caught on something while I'm maneuvering for entry. The primary is right where I want it when I'm ready to retrieve it as I approach the boat's entry platform. I keep my octopus in one of the silicone full mouthpiece-shaped keepers that is attached to my BC with a stainless key ring. The full mouthpiece cover keeps sand or any solids in the water out of the octopus and I know exactly where it is if I have to hand off my primary in an OOA situation. In that event, the primary easily detaches with a tug. I frequently make use of the octopus during dives to ensure it is operational, then return it to the keeper. When I am back on the dive platform after the dive, I can simply spit the primary out of my mouth without concern that it will get caught on something as I maneuver to get out of the way of other divers and take my gear off.

Home made latex loop with $200 worth of latex and 2 nylon tie wraps. Needs to be replaced every 7-8 years:

48b077d8238d2c826e1d1df01dbf529e.jpg

I use my necklace for the octo since I dive a double hose and obviously, the OOAD is not going to get that one. The drill is that an OOAD will approach "me" and easily see that there is another reg directly in his line of sight. I also am easily able to grab it and donate it since it's right there and easy to grab - no fumbling around. I don't really want a possibly panicked diver putting his hands on me until he's stabilized so I would prefer to get a hand signal and I will be the one handing off the air and continue on from there.

Home made latex loop with $200 worth of latex and 2 nylon tie wraps. Needs to be replaced every 7-8 years

Decimal points are important

... I like to keep the necklace itself quite snug, so the reg sits right under my chin; it's out of the way and with a little work, I can get it in my face without hands.

^^ This.

I like my backup reg "high and tight" under my chin too. In fact, the black 2nd stage on a "high and tight" black surgical tubing necklace is present in my avatar pic.... but it disappears completely beneath that lovely Scubapro -109 Adjustable I'm using... :D

I use surgical tubing, and I ziptie it just tight enough so that it cannot pull free on its own if I got tumbled in surf or if it got bumped, but WILL pull free if I give it a deliberate, solid tug.... so, it cannot "strangle" me in the highly unlikely event it got caught on something, but will not fall off with the slightest provocation either.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom