Anyone using an integrated weight system with a BP & wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think these pockets would fit on a basic harness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't see why not I think the webbing width will be the same, but I will have a quick look later - P

The dive rite pockets fit on a basic harness just fine. I have used them myself, and have outfitted many of our customers that like integrated weights use them and are very pleased with them. The 16's work well but the 32's are a bit bulky for some smaller people.

I use the DR pockets on my Freedom Plate and 30 pound Oxy Mach V. I found that the loaded weight pockets could slip out. The weight did not fall free, just slip out and hang. The reason was the fabric attachment strap was to long. I made the modification shown, I sewed a loop into the strap thus shortening it with heavy nylon thread:

PA180591.jpg

With the shortened strap the loaded pockets no longer tend to slip out:

PA180590.jpg

N

I use the diverite pockets you speak of when diving al80 tanks. To get the weight you need into them she either needs soft lead or the long flat lead weights. I use 8.5lb hard weights in my pouches when diving at the local aquarium. Something like this: Scuba Lead Hard Block Weight 8Lb

Soft weights are easier to get into the pouches, but it's not THAT big of a deal either way.

In any event, I've used them for about 25 dives and have no complaints. They work, the weight has never come out accidentally, and I remove them from the bc after every dive so I know I could just as easily do it in the water if needed.

I was recently researching the same idea and gathered a list of some of the integrated weight systems compatible w. a BP/W setup:

Halcyon ACB
Apeks WTX SureLock
Dive Rite Quick Release Pockets
ScubaPro X-Tek Weight Pocket System
OMS Compact Quick Dump
Hollis HTS 2 Weight System

...just in case you'd want to do Google searches on them and research them for yourself.

I use the diverite pockets you speak of when diving al80 tanks. To get the weight you need into them she either needs soft lead or the long flat lead weights. I use 8.5lb hard weights in my pouches when diving at the local aquarium. Something like this: Scuba Lead Hard Block Weight 8Lb

Soft weights are easier to get into the pouches, but it's not THAT big of a deal either way.

In any event, I've used them for about 25 dives and have no complaints. They work, the weight has never come out accidentally, and I remove them from the bc after every dive so I know I could just as easily do it in the water if needed.

Now I'm all nervous. I'm going to be diving with about 14lbs next week. If I can't find soft weights (unlikely), am I going to have trouble getting standard weights into the pouches?

Now I'm all nervous. I'm going to be diving with about 14lbs next week. If I can't find soft weights (unlikely), am I going to have trouble getting standard weights into the pouches?

Probably not, I have never noticed a big difference between soft and hard in getting them in and out of the pockets, actually I prefer standard.

I currently use the XS Velcro weight pockets attached to my harness, the link below is a good clip on weighting (Andrew is my instructor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr23rA_Gil0f

The Apeks WTX seems to be pretty nice. One of my dive buddies has them, they are attached to both the harness and the backplate. I'm thinking about switching.

Apeks Products

Actually Jim Laplenta on post 16 said it better.

Last edited:
Probably not,
The Apeks WTX seems to be pretty nice. One of my dive buddies has them, they are attached to both the harness and the backplate. I'm thinking about switching.

Apeks Products

I've used the Apex WTX pockets on my wing, although have removed them now. My only reservation was that the outer pocket had a hard inner (amost likea hip pad) when storing my wing of putting it in my dive bag these pockets did make it take up room (I've previously likened putting my win in a bag to trying to put a cat in a toilet bowl - you get the idea)

Apart from that they were great units, I liked the D rings fitted to them and used to hang my SMB and reel off one. As stated above I no longer need this weight capacity on my rig so took them off to put on some pockets for a spare mask, smb etc.

After 60 dives they had no wear what so ever - I've kept then in my "just in case box" but cut the d-rings off to use on my wing

I've used the Apex WTX pockets on my wing, although have removed them now. My only reservation was that the outer pocket had a hard inner (amost likea hip pad) when storing my wing of putting it in my dive bag these pockets did make it take up room (I've previously likened putting my win in a bag to trying to put a cat in a toilet bowl - you get the idea)

Apart from that they were great units, I liked the D rings fitted to them and used to hang my SMB and reel off one. As stated above I no longer need this weight capacity on my rig so took them off to put on some pockets for a spare mask, smb etc.

After 60 dives they had no wear what so ever - I've kept then in my "just in case box" but cut the d-rings off to use on my wing

they do appear to be high quality. Since they attach to the plate and thread through the waist strap it seems like it would take up a lot of real-estate on the waist strap - may not be conducive to using a can light - thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your input. Based on what I've read, I'm going to order a pair of DR 32# pockets. If my sweetly doesn't like them, I'll use them myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom