anything special about drysuit underwear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a recommendation for dry suit undies here on ScubaBoard: there's a guy on ebay (rondel101bjrr) who sells Polartec jammies at very reasonable prices. He answered all my questions, and for $99 I have a great garment. I've used it on a couple dives and I like that 1) it has a dual zippers to faciliate peeing (between dives!), and 2) it's Polartec so if a little water seeps in it does not affect the warmth. I've put it through the washer and dryer a few times too with no problems, too. Good deal!

The fleece undergarments, like the ones DUI sells, sure LOOK like plain old Polarfleece, and maybe they are. But I found that, when I started diving and used layered fleece garments I had for winter riding, they a) didn't insulate well enough and b) were EXTREMELY floaty (probably the layering). Switching to 200g Thinsulate gave me much better insulation with less weight. I think drysuit undergarments tend to be cut differently, resulting in less bulk and less floatiness.

Everyone I know who has done this has been struck by how much better the stuff is that's made for diving (with, of course, the accompanying price tag).

I'd recommend staying away from buying used technical materials unless you are VERY savey about undergarments.. very few people know how to take proper care of these materials and once subjected to improper care they're life span is at least limited if they are not ruined all together. and no offense... but if you have to ask this question then I don't think your informed enough to know what to look for nor the appropriate questions to ask of the seller.

Do you're research on CLO factors (the R rating for thermal protection.... sorta... mostly) make sure that you understand how to care for whatever material you decide on, how long it should last you doing the dives you will mainly do with it. If you truly understand the answer to those things about the material a spacific used undergarment is made of then you'll be able to ask the right questions of a seller.

As TSandM said, the floatieness, or rather the ability for air to circulate the undersuit is important. Fleece tends to limit air movement, which allows air to pile up in odd areas (usually the legs for maximum inconvenience).

A diving undersuit - it need not be an expensive brand name - will allow the air to easily circulate to the dump valve while not blocking it. This makes diving much, much easier with a dry suit.

Also, there are nice features that make a lot of difference, such as elastic bands to keep the suit legs from riding up, neoprene wrist seals that hold the suit on your arms, and the aforementioned ability to move.

What to remember is that an undersuit needs some underwear. some sort of wicking t-shirt keeps the zipper from scratching your gut and your sweat away from yourself. Cotton T-shirts just soak up the sweat and are really not that great.

I wear a thinsulate undersuit, woolly socks, neoprene 'ninja'-style oversocks and a sports t-shirt.
Oh, and boxer shorts.

You can certainly dive without the speciality stuff - lacking a good deal, this is what I would suggest- but it is just so much easier, warmer and more comfortable, so, when the opportunity arises, get the undersuit. Just my opinion, based on experience and watching others

Gerbs

Btw...almost forgot about this site...

SoftWear for the Scuba Diver

I second this - She did a great job on a custom suit, includes socks and it got here quick. I've dived it to 45 degrees for an hour or so comfortably.

You'd be hard-pressed to beat it for the price.

BTW - thanks for posting this. I lost the link when my last computer died, and I want to put my wife in this when we set her up for dry diving.

For some test data on different garment material, you might enjoy these:

Sterba, J. A.; Hanson R. S. and Stiglich J. F. (1989). "Insulation, Compressibility and Absorbency of Dry Suit Undergarments". US Naval Experimental Diving Unit Technical Report NEDU-10-89. RRR ID: 4867

Audet, N. F.; Orner G. M. and Kupferman Z. (1980). "Thermal Insulation Materials for Diver's Underwear Garment". US Naval Clothing and Textile Research Facility Natick MA NCTRF-139. RRR ID: 5021

There are also several chapters in here that could be of interest:

Nishi, R. Y. (1989). "Proceedings of the DCIEM Diver Thermal Protection Workshop". Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Toronto, CA DCIEM 92-10. RRR ID: 3922

Back
Top Bottom