Aow=bs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the term "AOW" is misused in syntax. People seem to feel it means "this diver has advanced skills." I firmly believe the term means "this diver has advanced their level of skill above OW." That isn't to imply they are some sort of expert...it merely means he/she has taken steps--with the aid of an instructor--to move their diving education forward.
I feel like I gained significantly by taking it. It prepared me to learn even more and encouraged me to get out there and gain more experience. Did I come out of AOW thumping my chest and proclaiming myself some sort of expert? Of course not. I've progressed through Rescue, and I'm still just a multiple-certified newbie, but I'm working on it.
Additional Open Water...

Additional Open Water...

That's brilliant, and absolutely true in many cases.

What I resent about the "Advanced" Open Water designation is the implication that someone who has passed that course has somehow acquired a level of expertise that would permit more advanced diving. Example: the requirement by some dive ops for clients to have AOW cert to do deep dives, when it is absolulutely clear from the experience of many of us that AOW cert is, at best, only marginally related to one's ability to handle oneself underwater.

I do like the idea of an "advanced" cert. But, it should not consist of such options as fish id or boat diving. In fact, of all the currently possible options, I'd include only navigation and PPB as requirements. Divers need these; they may want, but don't need, the others. IMHO, an advanced cert should build on established skills. That means do 20-50 dives, then go get an advanced cert that has real value.

Whether it be 5 dives after or 25, aow gives a new student a false sense of security.
I believe that ow2, would be a more fitting classification. It would be interesting too see how many dives it took an actuall experienced diver to feel advanced (someone with say 100 dives or more) Reason being, even after my aow class, I still didn't feel comfortable diving without my instructor. It took me months, diving every weekend and some after work on the week days too feel comfortable with my diving. Not saying that I felt completely unsure of myself to that point, but felt I could handle most of what could be thrown at me, considering my dive buddy and I had built a set of buoyancy rings and really worked on our buoyancy quite a bit of the time. When I took my rescue class was when I really felt ADVANCED!!!!!!!!!!! Or, maybe, the time I took my recreational trimix class (130' and crystal clear) Yeah that was it!! Nope, had too have been the.........
I guess my point is, we should all keep advancing to the level our comfort zone will allow, but what is advanced? Do what is fun for you, and what you enjoy.

Joe

:no Just came back from the Keys and was on the boat with a guy who had an AOW card. He had logged 25 dives up to then, mostly in springs and a couple of cave dives. Wore a 5mm Farmer John and 5mm shorty in Keys water. (You can figure the lead he carried.) Had trouble hooking up his regs correctly, couldn't figure out the giant stride, had a hell of a time getting his BC on and fins off and onto the boat. NO buoyancy control. Puked after both dives. Swam with his arms mostly and used up air like a steam engine. So much for the AOW rating in this particular case.
I'm a :dork2:.

So I will credit him with the 25 dives which is likely more than the majority on this board that ridicule those who have an AOW certification. I will also credit him for his attempt to stay warm. I will also credit him for apparently getting his regs hooked up properly since it was stated that he used up his air. I will credit him with his entry, heck, I still can't figure out the giant stride! :D I am confused as to why he was putting his BC on but taking his fins off to get on the boat. Perhaps I misread. NO buoyancy control? He shall be shunned! :D I credit him for puking, as opposed to trying to hold it in! :no Credit for swimming with his arms...maybe he wanted to reduce the wear and tear on his new fins? :wink: For what it's worth, I would welcome the opportunity to dive with this guy.

. So much for the AOW rating in this particular case.
I'm a :dork2:.

You get good and bad divers of all grades. You can get a 10 dive AOW whos competent or a 100 dive divemaster who is an accident waiting to happen and in between.
Diving ability depends mostly on the actual person not the qualification.

As for 5mm + 5mm in the keys i dont blame them. I dived in a July there and was frozen in a 5mm full suit and next time would have my 3+5+3 suit.

I will admit that living in Miami, I see lots of tourist divers doing their 1-5 dives per year. And they are frequently seasick, and frequently very inexperienced at open ocean diving with bucking ladders to get on the boat and currents galore. And I am often a bit frustrated with them, but will partner with them, if needed, to help them along.

These kinds of threads always sit the wrong way with me. These people are just trying to have some fun, and presumably learning as they go, like every one of us.

Is this just another bash PADI thread in disguise, or are you genuinely mad at this poor guy for wearing a thick wetsuit in the Keys, puking, and being an air hog? 25% of the tourist divers I see puke on the boat and are air hogs. As for the suit, I wear a 5mm almost year round down here because my large tanks and good air consumption allow me to do two dives of an hour+. I can't tell you how many Northern "cold water" divers I have dove with here who have commented on my 5mm suit and said how much they can tolerate the cold, only to watch them sit out the second dive shivering.

Just go dive and have some fun. If you have a problem with agency certification standards, let's focus on that and not the people trying to get into the sport.

Education is good, experience is better. I live in Key West and the water temp is around 75 degrees now and warming up, but who wants to be cold when you're diving? I've been wearing a 5mm all winter. Poor guy probably didn't know what to expect. I dive with lots of tourists and you should see the gear they drag onto the boat. I would rather see the person who was adequately dressed than the tourist who shows up in a swimsuit and tee shirt and has to call the dive because they are freezing.

Most of the diving here is shallow. I've seen lots of buoyancy problems. I think many are not used to boat diving as well. We should give credit to the guy for continuing his dive education. With many more dives, he will conquer his problems (we hope). We were all inexperienced divers once.

I'll bet the diver that the OP scrutinized had FUN diving.He didn't endanger himself or anyone else.There were no mishaps.To me thats what diving is all about....Having Fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom