Aow=bs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:no Just came back from the Keys and was on the boat with a guy who had an AOW card. He had logged 25 dives up to then, mostly in springs and a couple of cave dives. Wore a 5mm Farmer John and 5mm shorty in Keys water. (You can figure the lead he carried.) Had trouble hooking up his regs correctly, couldn't figure out the giant stride, had a hell of a time getting his BC on and fins off and onto the boat. NO buoyancy control. Puked after both dives. Swam with his arms mostly and used up air like a steam engine. So much for the AOW rating in this particular case.
I'm a :dork2:.

isn't the issue that the guy had only 25 dives (we were all there once) and it sounds like limited boat/sea diving experience??

IMHO AOW gives you a bit more theory and a few dives but what you really need is to get out there and actually dive. Thankfully I had some very patient and helpful divers at the beginning who helped me get my buoyancy sorted and breathing controlled so I didn't burn through my air.

I don't think the issue is the dive number ... it's the training the he got (didn't get) in OW and his AOW classes
I and my buddy had far less dives than that and did not flounder around so

Wow....I haven't taken AOW (yet) but it makes me thankfull for such a great instructor in OW and EANx (Kidspot). That diver kinda sounds like my brother......

Garrobo,

We hear from folks that need to wear a 7mm in Bonaire so let's not bag him for his choice of suits. Also if he had inquired before traveling the advice is often a step thicker than most tourists need because the DM or person on the phone has lost their cold tolerance. As for weighting it's not how much but rather how correct his weighting was and who's to say without a check?

Vomiting? Give the guy a break.

As for the rest, It sounds like the classic vacation diver but he could be a victim of fast track training.

BTW, it's entirely possible that he never needed to do a Giant Stride up to that point.

Is it safe to guess that he was your insta-buddy? If so were you able to offer any mentoring?

Pete

I think I looked worse after getting my AOW card (having had only 10 dives). AOW does not mean much, there is only so much an instructor can do to people not naturally in tune with diving.

my opinion on AOW minimum 75-100 dives i know you cant verify it as anybody can modify their log but heck this is my view.

I think some people sign up for aow right after basic because it gives them a structure to keep learning when they may be unsure of their new skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom