Aow course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The local quarry requires environmentally protected regulators if you go below 50 feet.

Which quarry is that?

I teach "Check your timing device" essentially meaning "make sure you timing device is on and working, those of you just diving with a watch... note the time." (I've never seen an OW student who can actually recall the start time at the end of the dive.)

I guess things have changed since I did OW. I dived from the beginning mostly with just a watch and remember the start time, as well as bottom temp. & viz--so I can write up my log. And my memory sucks. Computer only for the odd deep dive.

I always dive two computers and do not recall ever logging my start time before a dive. Both computers tell me elapsed time, elapsed SI, etc. If both of my computers die it is time to call it a day, somebody is telling me something..

Sorry for asking stupid questions, once I get aow I want to go on as many real dives as possible with experienced divers not instructors telling me what to do.

Rocky

I don't think any of your questions have been 'stupid'. I think its great you are doing more work and research than is required to get your cert, and that your instructor has gone above and beyond the course requirements by actually getting you to think a bit more. Sounds like you are getting an excellent course.

I have not a lot further to add than the others have mentioned already. Obviously you want your gear to be regularly serviced and in good working conditions for all dives. But on deep dives specifically thinking about exposure protection is important - your wetsuit will compress at depth so you will lose a little buoyancy, and more importantly warmth, so perhaps a thinker/longer one for deep diving depending on what is the 'norm' for you on shallower dives. A balanced reg is a bonus. And if you normally use an air integrated computer, for sure having an independent SPG for air monitoring and an analogue depth guage - again I would suggest this being the case all time, but especially on a deep dive where you have less margin for error if something goes wrong, as you will be using your air at a faster rate.

Have fun on your course and happy diving :)

Sorry for asking stupid questions, once I get aow I want to go on as many real dives as possible with experienced divers not instructors telling me what to do.

Rocky

Don't rule out the potential that an instructor might be an experienced diver, as well.

:d

Also, weigh the relative potential value of advice from "an instructor you know" vs "an experienced stranger on the internet."

I can't see my instructor buddying up with me to do a uk dive after I've compleated my course.. Our club do a monthly quarry dive and go to the sea side twice a year, but I feel I'll need more than that.

In my class I feel quite confident in my skills, I'm perhaps slightly cocky with it, but in no way do I feel advanced, in fact amongst other skilled divers I feel like an absolute novice. I need more dives in my logbook to progress

Rocky

Reactions: RJP
If you're diving in water with a significant thermocline (e.g., a quarry) you may need to have a regulator that's sealed to reduce the risk of icing and freeflow. The local quarry requires environmentally protected regulators if you go below 50 feet.

I'm interested are there scuba police at the 50' mark to stop divers with piston regulators from going to 51'? I've used my piston regulator on many ice dives; the protocol is to not breath from the regulator while not in the water. I dive all winter here in RI never had my regulator freeze. Does anyone have a story about a regulator freezing up while underwater? I wonder how those divers with double hose regulators did ice dives?

OP see the problem with experienced internet divers?

Back
Top Bottom