Aow course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct RJP
Exactly what I was thinking :wink:

Rocky

Note that I edited my answer above, based on pulling the manual out.

Besides the quality of equipment, when you are going deep you have to deal with NDLs. Usually with the dives within 60 feet you run out of air faster than cross NDL, so if you don't have dive computer or didn't plan according to the tables you will be fine. If you go to 130 feet you risk crossing NDL in several minutes, so you must either plan your dive according to tables and must have timer and follow the plan strictly or you must have dive computer and monitor it all the time. That's the equipment requirement I'd think of going "deep".

So i wouldent need more weight attached myself,but i may need extra weight tied to a reference line incase I underweighted myself as my tanks will be less negatively boyennt.

Rocky

I think the "extra weight" question is a terrible question, potentially misleading and confusing for the reasons RJP pointed out. I probably got the answer wrong on my PADI Deep exam, as I'm sure I would have believed a diver needs "proper" weighting for every dive, not "extra" weight for a "deep" dive ("deep" in the PADI universe meaning, what, more than 60 feet?).

Reactions: RJP
So i wouldent need more weight attached myself,but i may need extra weight tied to a reference line incase I underweighted myself as my tanks will be less negatively boyennt.

Rocky

"Yes, we have no bananas..."

- On the Knowledge Review... you "may need extra weight"
- In the real world... you will want to be properly weighted

One of my questions is the five points of decent, which is easy s.o.r.t.ed and I've pissed it..

But why do divers need to log the time b4 descending??

Do divers actually do this or is it just Padi's crazy view on reality

Rocky

One of my questions is the five points of decent, which is easy s.o.r.t.ed and I've pissed it..

If you were diving with just a watch as your timing device (ie without a computer or bottom-timer) you would need to note the start time - and the end time - of your dive in order to determine your dive time.

Of course a computer will note the time for you, obviating the need to "check the time."

I teach "Check your timing device" essentially meaning "make sure you timing device is on and working, those of you just diving with a watch... note the time." (I've never seen an OW student who can actually recall the start time at the end of the dive.)

Do divers actually do this or is it just Padi's crazy view on reality

Rocky

Your bottom time starts when you begin your descent not when you reach the bottom. So you need to note the time you begin your descent. I write the time on my slate.

Your bottom time starts when you begin your descent not when you reach the bottom. So you need to note the time you begin your descent...

Agreed. “Bottom Time” = Leave surface until leave bottom… (comment for Rocky) but that can be a little squishy on a meandering profile recreational dive. It goes back to the original navy decompression tables intended for working divers. The dive was almost always a “square profile” meaning that most of their bottom time was near the max depth. If you think about it, it would be pretty hard to define it any other way without computers.

“Total Dive Time” = Leave surface until reached surface, including "Bottom Time", ascent time, plus safety and/or staged decompression stops.

If you're diving in water with a significant thermocline (e.g., a quarry) you may need to have a regulator that's sealed to reduce the risk of icing and freeflow. The local quarry requires environmentally protected regulators if you go below 50 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom