AOW to do the Grove..What's up with that!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've read on the board, the SG has the capability of requiring advanced skills to dive. If the weather is right, it is a pretty easy dive. I dove it as dives number 6 and 7. It was on the same trip where I got certified and my instructor was on the dive with us (actually 2 instructors were there). The day we went had little to no current and great viz. If there had been a strong current, then we would have likely went to another site. Now that it is upright, I really want to go back and do the dive again.

Here are two options that people may want to consider...
1. If AOW then dive with a dive op.... if not AOW then consider getting one.
2. If you realize that there is no such thing as a scuba policeman here's the plan.
Go rent a boat from John Pennycamp Marina (cheapest in the Keys) or from another marina.
Rent any other equipment you need...tanks, Dive equipment or other stuff
Make a detailed dive plan of the grove and stick to the plan
Enjoy your dive for about the same as a charter would cost and dive her as much as you want that day.

This is what a couple of friends and I did and had a blast. All of us are AOW, but I would have taken anyone who is well read and has done simular dives before. Basically this is the point if you have to ask, "will this be safe?" then go with a dive op... if you have plenty of dives and have read appropriately then paln a dive and go. Planning your own dive is better than a charter any day.

dlndavid:
AOW certification doesn't give experience to qualify you as advanced. It does introduce you to more than basic OW and can put you on a course to become more "advanced". I like to compare an AOW cert (which I have and am by no means advanced) to thinking like; just because you turn on your turn signal while driving you can change lanes, whether it is safe or not.
:laughing:

Nailed it ON THE HEAD!!! :smash:

Also for anyone interested Ocean Divers offers this
For this dive, the diver MUST be certified as
PADI Advanced Open Water (or equivalent)
OR
show logbook verification of two dives to 80ft
or deeper within the past 12 months.
So there is option number 3

As for opinions, don't dive outside of your training....IMHO this means what you can learn on your own and practice on your own.... if I need instruction then I buy it, but that's me.

I think the real issue here is there needs to be pressure put on the certifying agencies to make an "advance" cert worth something. I believe the dive ops have an obligation to protect themselves and other divers from someone who is dangerous or who could ruin a dive for someone else. Right now their only true option is requiring an advance cert. or a minimum number of dives (which is easy to forge).

I just dove the Grove last Sunday with Aquanuts and I only have my OW. However, I was with a group that included an instructor, so I was permitted to dive under her 'supervision'. I can see where the current could make that a difficult dive, but I can't understand why I could go as a 'student' with only 15 dives, but someone with years of experience wouldn't be allowed. Seems a pretty arbitrary rule to me.

BTW - it was a very cool dive!

m7scuba:
From what I've read on the board, the SG has the capability of requiring advanced skills to dive. If the weather is right, it is a pretty easy dive. I dove it as dives number 6 and 7. It was on the same trip where I got certified and my instructor was on the dive with us (actually 2 instructors were there). The day we went had little to no current and great viz. If there had been a strong current, then we would have likely went to another site. Now that it is upright, I really want to go back and do the dive again.

But I think it must be a much cooler dive now it's upright. We did a swim through of the bridge, or pilot house, or whatever it's called. Had it been on it's side, that would have been a swim that may have ended rather deep, and everything would have been sideways. I enjoyed our dive on the Grove, even if it goes quick.

island ventures(key largo) has similar requirements as ocean divers,,

AOW
or 100+ total dives
or 2 dives 80ft within 12 months

reefman
key largo

reefman:
island ventures(key largo) has similar requirements as ocean divers,,

AOW
or 100+ total dives
or 2 dives 80ft within 12 months

reefman
key largo
I wish all ops had the additional criteria.
I had just come back from my third trip to Coz (within a year) in Mid-March. And I easily could have produced my divelog with plenty of deep dives AND bottom time.

But I'm done with all the card whining. I've found an instructor that has promised to make my AOW cert about a whole lot more than just doing some different 'fun' dives that I've already done. If I'm going to bother to get the card I want it to be about more than just a rubber stamp!!

We've got some fun things planned for October over three separate weekends primarily in northern Ohio. Thus far the class is ME. (Princess just LOVES :07: the attention!!!!)

mike_s:
Of course they had no problem charging us the $10 bucks for the stupid little "dive medallion" they want you to purchase to dive the Grove.
I agree with Ron, some local businesspeople and at least one bank really put themselves out there to get the Grove sunk (even if it did turn into a Charlie Foxtrox that eventually worked out). There is still a lot of $$$ owed for the original sinking costs and the medallions are supposed to eventually be retiring that debt. I'd rather have it paid for that way (or by a wealthy benefactor like the esteemed Adolphus Busch) than to have it funded by tax dollars. If that debt isn't eventually paid there will be fewer Groves in the future.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom