AOW too soon??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I am probably going to start some crap here but that is why I think I will do rescue first. I know evry one thinks you need advanced first but it seems like it might be the way to go.

git-r-dun diver:
I know I am probably going to start some crap here but that is why I think I will do rescue first. I know evry one thinks you need advanced first but it seems like it might be the way to go.

SSI recommends doing their Stress and Rescue course as the next class after open water. I never understood why PADI wanted you to do rescue after aow.

RonFrank:
Every dive shop I've been to pushes instruction. Every one I've been to will accept AOW students fresh out of OW. This is not agency specific as the NAUI shop in Denver is more desperate for business than most.

The key is once again a good instructor that is supported by good LDS facilities.

My AOW included classroom, knowledge reviews, and pool time. Our skills were NOT just dives other than the Altitude which was more about planning, and we just enjoyed our dive. Here is what some of our skills involved during the dives:

Buoyancy - Determine proper wieghting. Hover 2 minutes. Fin pivots. Swim through the hoops! Summersalts and rolls while maintaining depth.
Navagation - Out and back. Square. Triangle. Search patterns.
Deep - coordination drill at both the surface and at depth (remove nut from bolt, and rethread). View the color slate at the surface and at depth to see how light changes as depth increases.
Altitude - Pre dive planning to determine the impact of alititude on depth, BT, NDL, and SI's.
Night Dive - Navigation out and back.

So let's not just bash PADI or whom ever, and keep in mind that market pressue drives the LDS to potentially accept student who are not ready for AOW.

I'm not certain what would have happened had I failed any of the skills during our AOW, but I would like to think that our LDS does not just pass everyone in the class, and in fact I know they do not in OW as I know of students who fail, or at least have to come back in for more pool sessions, or additional OW dives.

We did very similar things as what you describe here...math problem on the surface and then deep, while being timed...location of small objects in sub 10' visibility...proper rigging of lift bag and moving it while maintaining buoyancy, etc. Overall, I am in no way calling the ability or toughness of the instructors into question. My concern is just how much could a newly minted OW diver benefit from the task-loading of AOW, when they are still trying to figure out how to get trimmed out and maintain neutral buoyancy on the third dive of the day? The instructors definitely took their time and made sure everyone who passed did so while mastering/completing the skills required. I don't know, wasn't trying to start a big debate here, just sharing my observations. Personally, I would not have felt comfortable nor would I have seen much benefit out of AOW immediately after my basic OW certification. I'm glad I took time in between to get comfortable with my own gear and abilities. My two cents.

git-r-dun diver:

I guess rescue after OW really depends on the diver, and how much experience they have. A diver with 5 OW cert dives under their belt is NOT ready for Rescue, and most agencies have a minimum number of dives before rescue can be obtained.

RonFrank:
So let's not just bash PADI or whom ever, and keep in mind that market pressue drives the LDS to potentially accept student who are not ready for AOW.
Agreed Ron there is point to agency bashing. I haven't really sensed agency bashing per say in this thread just more people have experience with PADI than with the other agency so PADI comes up more frequently in the comments. FWIW I do know several instructors with PADI, SSI, NAUI etc etc that do a fine job of teaching people to dive. I also am aware of one person on scubaboard that had a NAUI instructor and that instructor should have his head thumped IMO.

One thing a I like about being an independent instructor is that I don't have any need to deal with market pressure. I take only AOW students or above who I feel have potential to pass the course. If the person isn't ready then we find a way to get them ready.

git-r-dun diver:
Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Pretty much anyone who has taken a resuce course from any agency has really enjoyed the course, learned a alot and felt it helped them as a diver.

jbd:
One thing a I like about being an independent instructor is that I don't have any need to deal with market pressure. I take only AOW students or above who I feel have potential to pass the course. If the person isn't ready then we find a way to get them ready.

Ahhh, music to my ears.

jbd:
BKP---tell the truth---did you have a real sense of accomplishment upon completion of that course?

Kudos to your instuctor!!

JBD... actually, yeah, I did...

If I've learned anything about this sport/lifestyle, it's that the most seemingly intuitive, simple, and innocuous has particular parameters, tips, and method that you can only learn from a more experienced diver and/or instructor...

That's why I read this board, and I'll continue to... That's why I'll continue to look for dives with better divers then me...

I took the OW and AOW about 18 months apart... if nothing else (and there *was* something else), I had the opportunity to refresh and confirm *or* improve my own skills...

-- and thanks... I'll pass on the kudos...

-Barry

Advanced Open Water is just continuing education. There is no too soon considered when taking College after High School and this is not really any different.

Basically the diver just needs to be comfortable with the skills and depth that will be taking place in the class, this is just a guided demonstration/skill building/education to help the diver continue to improve. Completion of AOW doesnt necessarily make you an advanced diver, but gives you further education that you should want to move into more advanced diving.

My 2cp

Josh

RonFrank:
I guess rescue after OW really depends on the diver, and how much experience they have. A diver with 5 OW cert dives under their belt is NOT ready for Rescue, and most agencies have a minimum number of dives before rescue can be obtained.
NAUI has two rescue certifications; Scuba Rescue Diver for those straight out of OW and an Advanced Scuba Resuce Diver. The Advanced Rescue diver has AOW as a prerequiste

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom