Apeks TX100 VS Zeagle FH6/ZX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been diving Apeks regs for many years: TX-100s and DS-4s. As most will attest here...they are certainly great regs.

I need to get another reg, and was considering picking up a Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX. Does anyone have any experience with this reg and/or can you compare it to the TX-100 in terms of performance?

A fair question would be why would I want to change from the Apeks TX-100 (essentially the same reg). Well, I am not "changing" as I am not giving these up...but rather, I am adding to what I have.

The real "problem" I have is, I like to work on my own regs and I find it very hard to get Apek parts...Zeagle service parts are available to me. I have also found my Apeks TX-100 can *occasionally* breath a little wet if I find myself in certain attitudes...something it has done since I first got it. I have heard the newer Zeagle FH6/ZX does not (true?). Zeagle has also always treated me well (not that Apeks/Aqualung has not...but again, parts are a bit of an issue for me).

I would really appreciate hearing from others their thoughts/experiences/insights regarding Zeagle's Flathead 6/ZX and Apeks' TX-100.

Thank you very much!

I'd get another Apeks.

KidK9:
I'd get another Apeks.

Okay, thank you...but why?
What was it about the Zeagle you don't like?
The work of breathing at heavy demand for the Zeagle FH6/ZX is reported as
0.91 Joule/Liter at 198' (60M) depth, 750 psi inlet, 62.5 RMV...pretty good. Does anyone know what the numbers are for the Apeks TX100 (and/or 200)?

As an aside, for those that follow the DIR book of only 3/8" hoses (while not much of an issue for me personally)...the Zeagle FH6 (essentially a TX100...some have argued: "improved upon")...has all 4LP ports at 3/8" (ie no 1/2" ports).

I would really appreciate your input...please include your reasoning.

Thank you.

I dont think you'll push either one to the limits personally. Apeks in my opinion make superior regs. In fact, the only regs that I would personally buy for technical purposes Apeks, Poseidon, and ScubaPro. And my opinion of Scubapro has decreased fairly recently. I guess my main argument would be that so many people use the Apeks regs when diving technically and I never see the Zeagle come up as a popular choice. Not to say that it isnt a good reg. The DiveRite regs are awesome tech regs, but not that many people use them either. I have experience with Apeks regs in cold water (37 degrees), and in cavrns/caves. It is for this reason that I back them.

I'm not aware of any significant difference between the two, being almost twins in design and at one time, manufacture. In fact, I have heard that you could substitute an Apeks service kit in the Zeagle (not suggesting you do so, only that it would work). I haven't found a manufacturer more willing to stand behind their products with factory level (not LDS and distributor) service than Zeagle. Also not prohibiting internet sales and made in the USA. To call Apeks "superior" isn't true, IMO, only equal. I, for one, prefere the full cover soft purge.

Zeagle for years use to sell apeks in North America so if you can Zeagle partys you can still get Apeks parts as they still stock parts for the older line of regs they sold which were in fact apeks. The new Zeagle regs are copies of the apeks and are just starting to really get noticed in the various diving circles. Their flathead performs very compared to any reg. I dive both their older apeks and the newer Zeagle regs both are good

yknot:
I'm not aware of any significant difference between the two, being almost twins in design and at one time, manufacture. In fact, I have heard that you could substitute an Apeks service kit in the Zeagle (not suggesting you do so, only that it would work). I haven't found a manufacturer more willing to stand behind their products with factory level (not LDS and distributor) service than Zeagle. Also not prohibiting internet sales and made in the USA. To call Apeks "superior" isn't true, IMO, only equal. I, for one, prefere the full cover soft purge.

I'm referring to Apeks as being a "superior" line of regs to many other regs, but I didnt mean it in a sense to Zeagle specifically. You could also subsitute the sentence as "I feel Apeks makes higher quality regs than most".

I too am interested in the Zeagle FH6/ZX and both Apeks ATX100 and ATX200.

Dose anyone know what the External WOB performance scores are for the Apeks TX100 and TX200 (or know where I could find them to compare to the ones published by Zeagle? Namely:0.91 Joule/Liter at 198' (60M) depth, 750 psi inlet, 62.5 RMV).

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom