Apeks vs. Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloop John B:
Are Apeks second stages as easy to take apart underwater as the Scubapro G250 is? Thanks.

Yes. The front cover on an Apeks 2nd stage unscrews essentially the same way as on a G250. I usually leave the front covers on my Apeks regulators just slightly loose to facilitate removing them underwater if necessary. -bob

the older models of g250's are easier to open, unlike the newer ones and the HP's which have a lock pins installed in them....but you can remove the locking pin so that you can still remove the cover underwater

the apeks tx series are easier to open than the atx's. the covers are thicker on the rim of the tx than the atx.... they can still be opened underwater....just dont tighten them that much

frogman:
the older models of g250's are easier to open, unlike the newer ones and the HP's which have a lock pins installed in them....
I hate those pins. I just throw them away.

i think the easiest to open underwater would have to be the aqualung titan. just pull off the face plate. it stays attached to the hose while you clean it out. super easy and a reliable reg to boot.

robgrow:
Yes. The front cover on an Apeks 2nd stage unscrews essentially the same way as on a G250. I usually leave the front covers on my Apeks regulators just slightly loose to facilitate removing them underwater if necessary. -bob

:thinkingo Errr.... Why would you want to remove them underwater if necessary and under what circumstance would you remove them instead of abort your dive

debris or dirt could get stuck and cause the reg to breathe wet. something that insignificant shouldn't have to be the reason to abort a dive if all you need to do is pick it out of the diaphragm.

on a DIR/Apeks note... I'm using an ATX100...not sure how it is with other Apeks 1st stages, but one port on the right side is their famous 1/2" port. I'm not yet a DIR diver, but I'd like to eventually get there. My DIR friends helped me set it up, but I'm a bit confused regarding the 1/2" port. I didn't change the original 32" hose it came with, what I did was use the original hose on the 1/2" port for my bungeed octo... then I attached a 6' hose for my primary on the standard port behind it.

My question is... DIR states Apeks' regs 1/2" port should be blocked of and use the other ports instead... but it's on the other side... how am I supposed to configure the hoses properly using standard fittings...without using an adapter? Is it OK to just get a custom 1/2" hose for the octo (22" long right?)? Is the only issue availability? Cuz I could get a spare just in case.

I answered your question in the other thread. That recommendation is more for diving doubles than singles. When you are diving singles with the ATX-100, you are stuck, and you have to use that 1/2" port. Just carry a spare hose with you. When you go to doubles, you might want to block that port, and use one of the other standard ports...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom