Apeks XTX50/100/200 differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The aqualung "Breathe Free" offer showed to expire on July 31 last I checked.

For the AL product the octo matches up.. IE Titan Octo for Titan reg, Legend for Legend..

All Apeks branded ones offer the egress, which I dont know much about.

KansaiKitsune:
That's true, actually. I was going off of reputation. Apeks at my local stores seem rather expensive. At my LDS, the guy showed me the Oceanic Delta IV and the Atomics. Both of them seemed extremely nice. The Atomics were very light and comfortable to hold, and the Oceanic looked sturdy and only had to be serviced every two years.

I don't mean to dissuade you by any means; like i said i love my XTX 200 and give it the highest of recommendations (within my limited expertise of course). You'll find many here who when asked "what's the best regulator?" automatically reply with the one they own. It makes sense on some level, since if they hadn't like it they wouldn't have bought it! IMO, the informed purchase is the most enduring one; just don't overthink it, the sooner you have your own gear, the more you'll enjoy yourself.

midnite135:
The aqualung "Breathe Free" offer showed to expire on July 31 last I checked.

For the AL product the octo matches up.. IE Titan Octo for Titan reg, Legend for Legend..

All Apeks branded ones offer the egress, which I dont know much about.

AFAIK, the Egress is the only real variation between the two top lines of Apeks and Aqualung. Many have pointed out that say the XTX-200 and the AL Legend LX Supreme is virtually the same reg. On the other hand, both companies have a flat octo that can be used upside-down which is supposed to make it less stress-inducing during an OOA situation (i.e. buddy just shoves it in their mouth doesn't have to check for right side up) and these two are different. The AL version is called the ABS, the Apeks version is called the Egress; the latter is pneumatically balanced while the former is not. Correct me if i'm wrong or if this used to be the case but not anymore if the specs changed.

theatis:
Many have pointed out that say the XTX-200 and the AL Legend LX Supreme is virtually the same reg.

The XTX200 and Legend LX Supreme are not "virtually the same reg." Some components (such as the second stage heat exchanger) are the same as Apeks manufactures all metal accessories and some plastic elements for all Aqua Lung regulators.

Vie:
The XTX200 and Legend LX Supreme are not "virtually the same reg." Some components (such as the second stage heat exchanger) are the same as Apeks manufactures all metal accessories and some plastic elements for all Aqua Lung regulators.

Sorry, didn't mean to misinform. :) While we are on the subject Vie, can you provide some more detail on their differences? I'd love to know more.

theatis:
I don't mean to dissuade you by any means; like i said i love my XTX 200 and give it the highest of recommendations (within my limited expertise of course). You'll find many here who when asked "what's the best regulator?" automatically reply with the one they own. It makes sense on some level, since if they hadn't like it they wouldn't have bought it! IMO, the informed purchase is the most enduring one; just don't overthink it, the sooner you have your own gear, the more you'll enjoy yourself.

Yeah, I've been taking a long time to pick my gear and decide whether I want to get it from an online dealer or an LDS. It's cutting into my dive time, and summer's just getting into swing. I want to enjoy it while it's still warm out. Of course, this is Florida so the water's always warm out.

I'm giving the Delta 4 thoughts (not bad only having to service it every two years), and he's got that competitively priced. But he's also got the Atomics, though they're rather pricy.

theatis:
Sorry, didn't mean to misinform. :) While we are on the subject Vie, can you provide some more detail on their differences? I'd love to know more.

I'm afraid I'm no expert... Here's an explanation of the Legend by DA Aquamaster:

"The Legend first stage is basically a tried and true Conshelf first stage adapted to allow the high pressure air to enter from the side rather than inline with the seat carrier. That makes it a well proven design, but one that is perhaps a little dated and one that offers a little less flow rate than a first stage based on a newer design.

The second stage has much in common with older Scubapro balanced poppet designs like the older G250. In fact the poppet looks very much like a hybrid of the older Scubapro poppet and the newer SP poppet with one piece plastic stem and replaceable seat. Similarly the lever and air barrel look like they would be at home in a G250. And like an older G250, it would offer good heat transfer traits as well as reduced dry mouth.

...The Legend Supreme adds a heat exhanger in the second stage and geberally detunes the reg to meet those really senseless and annoying European standards.

So in effect, other than cosmetics and HP/LP port number and arrangement the Titan and Ledgend are extremely similar in design and performance.

In terms of second stages, the poppet - or "shuttle valve" as Aqua Lung prefers to call it - on their balanced second stages are identical, the difference being that the inhalation effort is adjustable on the Legend LX while it is not adjustable on the Legend, Legend Octo and Titan LX. The differences are comparable to the balanced and adjustable Scubapro S600 and the balanced but non adjustable S550."

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=113373&page=1&pp=10

I've never taken a Legend apart but do have some experience with the FSR - just from comparing the service diagrams, the FSR is simpler and have less parts.

Thanks for pointing the right direction, Vie. I guess a search doesn't hurt, right? :)

AJ, this is straight from the Atomic website: "Factory or authorized dealer servicing is required at intervals of 300 dive hours or 2 years, whichever occurs first."

AJ Tudor:
Why should it only be surviced every two years? I was under the impression that all regulators should be surviced every year.

Here's what the Atomic Aquatics manual have to say:

"The major service interval for the Atomic Aquatics regulators is semi-annual (2 year) or 300 dive. We recommend that you take your regulator to an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer annually for a safety inspection."

Don't know if things have changed with Oceanic but it used to be (for personally owned equipment used for recreational diving activity):

"Equipment used 100 dives or less per year should be serviced at least once per year. Equipment used more than 100 dives per year should be serviced after 100 dives prior to further use. Equipment stored for more than 6 months should be inspected, and serviced as required, prior to use."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom