apex xtx50 vs AL legend lx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Performance - Less flow rate, not a higher WOB (not that I think WOB is all that great an indicator of anything anyway.)

50's first stage versus Legend first stage - It's a matter of detail and degree. Technically all diaphragm first stages function the same, it's the differences in internal volumes, porting etc, that make a difference in flow rate. The Legend has a lot more in common performance wise with the ATX200's first stage.

It's also not that the ATX 50 is not up to the task, it's an issue of getting a lot more for your money with the Legend LX if you can get it for the same price as an ATX 50.

At my LDS, Legend is $65 more than the XTX50, XTX200 is $65 more than the Legend, and I am guessing the XTX100 is about the same as the Legend. Do you think the first stage of the XTX100 makes it equivalent to the Legend, or does the Legend have the edge?

At least for me, the tipping point between the Apeks and the Legends was the free octo-the Legend octo is very nice, almost matches the Legend LX, and for me it suited my needs as a bungied second better than the Egress (I am swapping out the yellow face plate, on the off chance a random diver not familiar with such a set up tries to grab it when OOA, plus black is better looking . . . I'll admit it).

I was really basing my decision on the regulator, but I guess the alternate is a factor.
The Egress seems much lighter and more compact than the Legend octo.
I don't know if service is more expensive for the Legend octo.
Either way I can chose between an octo or a Seaquest Airsource--another issue.
Any advice?

I personally went with the Legend LX with the free Legend octo. The Legend octo is the same 2nd stage as the primary on the Legend reg set. Differences in the regs are that it has a yellow hose, yellow face plate, and is not an adjustable 2nd. It does have the venturi adjustment. It is the over balanced design of the LX. If you want to know the technical specs of the octo you would receive goto the aqualung website and read the info on the 2nd stage of the Legend reg set. It's the exact same 2nd.

Just took advantage of the free octapus deal and bought the Legend. I took it and the Apecks apart in the store and examined them closely. Both dissasseble easily in exactly the same method and the internal parts are essentially the same. There are a few small differences in the second stage as to where the pieces are mounted dimensionally. The Legend actually appeared better made though they are both plastic--plastic--plastic. I figured I needed one new regulator, haven't bought a new single hose since 1988. To bad this Legend does not breath as welll as my Phoenix Royal Aqua Master and has fewer LP and HP ports and it is made out of plastic so I imagine in a few years it will be all busted and broke.

AquaLung bought Apecks. It is clear they are sharing technology. Anyone who thinks there is any substantial difference between the Legend and the Apecks equivilent model is kidding themselves. If one is a "tech" regulator then the other is also. Oh, I was able to unscrew the diaphram cover on both models with my bare hands and remove all of the innards in exactly the same method. They both look very fragile and unsubstantial to me. N

Back
Top Bottom