Apo Island update requested...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get the chance, dive Kan-uran. It's a site on the side that the typhoon ravaged; the site was practically scraped clean. But the last time I was there, baby corals were starting to grow on the bare rocks! 1-3 inch-wide coral colonies were everywhere! So maybe in a couple of years the reefs would be colorful again. I'm excited just to be able to see the reefs grow back.

I am considering a trip to this area next year and would appreciate any recommendations on dive operators/resorts. Two that seem to get good reviews are Mike's and Atmosphere.

I am considering a trip to this area next year and would appreciate any recommendations on dive operators/resorts. Two that seem to get good reviews are Mike's and Atmosphere.

These two places are in Dauin(Dumaguete) NOT on Apo Island. I prefer Liquid in Dauin. Zoe gives speedy reply.

If you're planning to do most of your diving in Apo, you're probably better off staying on the island. Accommodations there are very basic though; some even say primitive. :D The resorts in Dauin regularly do day trips to Apo Island and do 2 or 3 dives there. How often we go depends on whether there are enough guests who want to go. Normally we need at least 6 people for the day trip.

I'm guessing you're a serious photographer. If you would appreciate a proper camera room, Atlantis Dive Resort probably has the best camera room in the area. View Profile: Atlantis Dive Resorts - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network or Scuba Diving in the Philippines The Atlantis Dive Resorts and Liveaboards, The Best Dive Resort in the Island - Sabang, Puerto Galera in Oriental Mindoro and Lipayo, Dauin, Negros Oriental in Dumaguete

I'm a Dauin local, please feel free to ask me anything about the area!

Not on the same budget, personally I like Mike's, very nice grounds, friendly atmosphere. they provide 3 dives daytrip to Apo every two days or so and one of his guides is born in Apo too. On my request they assigned me a private guide (I am quite serious with my UW photography), he was really good for finding critters.
Only nice things to say about this operation.

i thoroughly enjoyed liberty's lodge on apo island. great waking up in the morning overlooking the beach, having flexibility in dive time and number, and no hour+ boat ride to apo and usually very wet boat ride back to dauin or malatapay. food is included in the room price (but not dorm room), and i found the food decent and the comradery better. the night diving from the shore doesn't suck, either. no complaints from me about the generator hours, but if you need 24 hour power, ac, and tv, it is not the place for you.
if you get it right (or wrong!) current flies on the east and you can adrenaline 'drift' from coconut around mamsa to and through sanctuary and off the point before the current dies or your air is gone. fun, but not always the thing to do when you are on a 3 dive day trip. we did it twice one day (good agreeable dive buddies!) and it is like an underwater roller coaster. if you like that kind of thing try to hit it around full moon!
apo island is a top spot on my list but haven't been there since this time last year, and glad to hear haiyan (yolanda) didn't damage the west - or further damage the east, which was coming back quite nicely. will be back in a month to check it out again.

Yes Liquid is the real deal , everything diving should be about , camaraderie, run by 3 generations of the same lovely family( if you include the children) , lovely pool for chilling out after dives , fantastic food....how they do it for the price is beyond me.

Yes Liquid is the real deal , everything diving should be about , camaraderie, run by 3 generations of the same lovely family( if you include the children) , lovely pool for chilling out after dives , fantastic food....how they do it for the price is beyond me.
Canucks & Scouser.
And if the yaya speaks Visayan, I wonder what kind of accent that the children will develope into?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom