Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with Mike's in Dauin and stay next door in a bungalow room for about 750 php/night which gets it closer to a back packer budget. I have dived Apo while staying in Dauin but have never had as good a dive experience as when staying on Apo Island and diving around it. I have always stayed at Liberty Lodge. Since there is little else to do on Apo much less Dauin. I have gotten in as many as 5 dives in one day on Apo. As others have said once the clock hits 9-9:30pm it's lights out. Make sure to dive the night dive in front of Paul's diving - there is so much to see well any night dive is a highlight nearly anywhere you may be. Also the official time on Apo Island is 10 minutes ahead of the rest of the Philippines. Getting between Apo, Dauin and Bohol is very easy by ferry. If you do go to Malapascua be sure to have AOW and Nitrox certification in order to dive Monad Shoal to see the thresher sharks. AOW for the depth (65-75 feet) and Nitrox so you can have the maximum bottom time. If you are a heavy breather there are 100 cubic foot tanks to be had on Malapascua too.

Centrals, when I said that private transport was not available, I meant there is no way I am paying that kind of money so it's not available for ME. HAHA! I know that it is there if I want it, but at that price...no way!
So thank you for details on the bus routes to Moalboal/Dumaguete!
I'm really hoping that in December there will be plenty of people to share rides with...but that also means less chance at cheap accomodation when just showing up!

1. As far as I know the private transfer is available to anyone who is willing to pay. The van usually takes 6 passengers + luggages. Bloody expensive(US$200.00+) though if you are the only paying customer!!!
2. If you do decide to use public bus(Northern Buys Terminal) then make sure you start very early in the morning. Otherwise you might need to charter the whole boat from Maya to Malapascua in the afternoon.
3. A full day journey from Malapascua to Dumaguete or Moalboal(slightly shorter).
4. Fast craft from Cebu to Dumaguete is NOT that frequent(Ocean Jet) but you can take the direct or indirect bus from the Southern Bus Terminal(bus for Moalboal also departs from there) in Cebu to Dumaguete via couple of ports.
5. Moalboal is a inland town and Panagsama Beach is where you need to go. A short tricycle ride from Moalboal.
6. Shared van is quicker but you need to buy two seats if you have luggage. A Toyota Hi-Ace or similar is designed for six passengers but it will take upward of 18 in this case!!!!!! Pack like sardines!!!!

---------- Post added February 9th, 2014 at 10:36 PM ----------

Great to hear! So glad I'm hearing such good things about Apo! I for sure want to spend several days there after hearing such positive things about staying there.
I will be so totally beat by 9pm it will be lights out for me before the electricity goes out for sure!
I am a very light breather and my air goes far, not nitrox certified but I am rescue diver certified. I spoke several times with the main dive op on Malapascua and they didn't mention needed nitrox cert....is it a must or just highly recommended? If so I will look into getting it while I'm in Roatan in May.
Thanks!

I dive with Mike's in Dauin and stay next door in a bungalow room for about 750 php/night which gets it closer to a back packer budget. I have dived Apo while staying in Dauin but have never had as good a dive experience as when staying on Apo Island and diving around it. I have always stayed at Liberty Lodge. Since there is little else to do on Apo much less Dauin. I have gotten in as many as 5 dives in one day on Apo. As others have said once the clock hits 9-9:30pm it's lights out. Make sure to dive the night dive in front of Paul's diving - there is so much to see well any night dive is a highlight nearly anywhere you may be. Also the official time on Apo Island is 10 minutes ahead of the rest of the Philippines. Getting between Apo, Dauin and Bohol is very easy by ferry. If you do go to Malapascua be sure to have AOW and Nitrox certification in order to dive Monad Shoal to see the thresher sharks. AOW for the depth (65-75 feet) and Nitrox so you can have the maximum bottom time. If you are a heavy breather there are 100 cubic foot tanks to be had on Malapascua too.

Monad Shoal(for thresher shark) is around 27m which is perfect for nitrox(to extend the bottom time). The longer you can stay down the better chance you have to see the shark and the devil ray(don't forget to look up from time to time).

Nitrox can extend the bottom time but you do need the gas to last the pace.

About the Malapascua area. I used to divemaster on island explorer which sadly sunk in apo reef. A couple of years ago saw 11 thresher sharks in 1 dive in monad shoal. Gato island is terriffic. Lots of macro life and the tunnel is amazing. Theres a huge rock a few that houses several nurse sharks. Gato is an excellent area to night dive! The pioneer wreck at around 45m on the northern end of malapascua is excellent and challenging deco dive. Theres a 50mm gun on the deck.

Cool, Thresher Shark Divers runs a day trip to Gato for no extra charge so I was planning on doing that. Sounds amazing!

About the Malapascua area. I used to divemaster on island explorer which sadly sunk in apo reef. A couple of years ago saw 11 thresher sharks in 1 dive in monad shoal. Gato island is terriffic. Lots of macro life and the tunnel is amazing. Theres a huge rock a few that houses several nurse sharks. Gato is an excellent area to night dive! The pioneer wreck at around 45m on the northern end of malapascua is excellent and challenging deco dive. Theres a 50mm gun on the deck.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

Ok, I will do my Nitrox Cert in Roatan when I'm there in May. :) Thanks!

Monad Shoal(for thresher shark) is around 27m which is perfect for nitrox(to extend the bottom time). The longer you can stay down the better chance you have to see the shark and the devil ray(don't forget to look up from time to time).

Nitrox can extend the bottom time but you do need the gas to last the pace.

For those who will dive Monad Shoal to see the threshers please keep still when they are around and shine lights at them (dive lights, video lights and camera flashes or strobes) since that spooks them. Try keeping an eye out on the blue since you may get lucky and see a hammerhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom