Apollo AV1/Dacor SV900 replacement batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a PowerSonic PS-12280NB 12v 28 ah, It' a couple pounds more than the original 19# 24ah but it fits, and it was only $80.00 instead of $300. from the scuba.com

Works great so far

PowerSonic PS-12280NB 12v 28ah, i paid $79

Hi,
Looking for some advice here please. I have had a few Apollo AV1s over the years. With the price of lithium batteries dropping I decided to purchase one recently, as I often have to walk long distances with my scooter to the water so the weight + increased capacity is a huge improvement for me.

So I have purchased a Fusion V-LFP-12-30H, a 12v 30ah lithium battery. The problem I have is that when I connect up the battery, then press the scooter "power" button the blades spin once and it cuts out. I have also tested this by shorting the power terminals (on the scooter!) with a screwdriver with exactly the same results (spins once then cuts out). I then tried disconnecting the battery, shorting the terminal, touching the red power lead to the red battery terminal. This gave me a decent spark, but then the scooter powered up normally and kept running. If I removed the power it spun down and if I then reconnected the battery lead it spun up correctly. If I then left the battery connected but removed the screwdriver it again spun down correctly. Interestingly if I leave the blades to spin down completely then shorted the power connection with the screw driver it would cut out as per originally, but if the blades were not fully stopped I could spin up with the short properly.

So, sorry about the big description, but what I'm asking is two things, firstly has anyone had experience with a lithium battery and an AV1? And if so did you have any problems?

Additionally might anyone know why connecting a lithium battery to the AV1 would make it cut out? It seems to be something in the AV1 that is causing the cut out, not the battery. My scooter is pretty beaten up (I've probably clocked 2000 hours with it ), if its some form of over use protection I would probable be ok with disabling it :) Obviously if the Lithium battery is unsuitable then I won't continue trying to use it.

All help appreciated!

Dave
ps. yep I know the thread is very old, but I think my questions are still relevant to Apollo AV1 replacement batteries.
D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom