Apollo Bio-fins vs. Atomic Split fins vs. Tusa Xpert Zoom vs. S.pro Twin Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the bios but found that they were too soft. I was not able to get the precise movements I have been used to. I did, however, like the split configuration. I owned the SP twin jets for a while until I tried the SP twin speed splits. They quickly replaced the twin jets. They are very stiff, needing a bit more power, but not as much as the paddle fins. They are able to deliver very precise movements, which is handy with my photography. As I use the frog kick almost exclusively, this fin really delivers.

I have the Apollo Bio Fin XT's (Spring Straps) and love em. I have also used the SP Twin Jets and they would be my second choice... probably b/c I am biased towards SP products.

I recently spent a week diving in Maui, and the boat offered to supply all gear included in the price. My airline had lost all my dive gear for a couple days, so I dove their gear.

My hotel was a mile from the pier, so even when my gear arrived, I decided to dive mostly with their gear. So what gear was I willing to carry for a two mile (round trip) walk each morning?

Safety Sausage
SL4 Dive light
Folding pocket knife
(none of which they included)
My Vyper computer (they included a Gecko, but I wanted to download my dives)
...and my Oceanic V12 split fins.

My SAC dropped from .45 to .39 with only a fin change. Many people make fun of split fins, but for my diving... they work!

I dove with Apollo Bio Fin XT's about a week ago and liked the way they worked very much. I am also trying to decide between the Bio Fin and a pair of Jet fins. For diving dry I am leaning towards the jetfins. I found my Force Fins to be way to small to get my feet in with rock boots even though they are XL. Time for some new gear!

I'm also looking into new fins and have limited opportunity to try stuff out locally. I have tried the SP Splits and thought they were pretty good although very pricey. I'm specifically in need of new fins because my old SP entry blade fins don't fit well over my rock boots.

Anyone have comments on any of these fins relative to drysuit/rockboot diving?

Thanks.

- Dave

I have a pair of the Xpert Zoom fins, and am finding that they are excellent for covering distances while swimming on your back. That bend in the fin (which others have reported problematic while swimming freestyle because it breaks the surface) actually helps you when swimming on your back... never breaks the surface and makes the swim less tiring.

I bought the Apollo bio fins only about a month ago to make the long shore swims out on our backs more comfortable, and less anaerobic. I figured they'd lower my SAC under that water as well.

Well, one month later I can't say enough good things about them. On the top of the water, on my back ( and even in a snorkeling position it seems), they really are MUCH faster and MUCH more efficient. There is no doubt.

Under the water, for these shore dives where all we do is swim, I have been able to use noticably less gas while going very noticably faster.

Sure, it doesn't really matter what fin I use when I finally get to where I'm going, or on drift boat dives, but im comparison to my regular buddies there is nothing but marked improvement in my ability to stay out there. The bio fins were, essentially, in lieu of buying a boat (which comes next I hope).

Somewhere in another forum is the story of me doing 3 progressively harder (i.e more kicking) shore dives by noon one day, the last of which was a search for a camera that remained hidden throughout my marathon kicking adventure. I could not have done those dives, to that degree, covering that much territory, with Jetfins, my Rocket II's, or any blade fin I've ever used. That afternoon, when a buddy finally showed up (giving me time to fill my three tanks), I went for a fourth shore dive. Immediately before receiving the bio's, with the most efficient frog kick I could do, I would have been limited to two shore dives that morning, and would probably have had such burning legs (from kicking out, and to some degree back in, more-so than from the actual dives) that even the later dive would have been questionable.

Last week I done a total of 6 dives at a point called Maeda Misaki. They is a new stairway that has been rebuilt with 93 steps. Tiring. Well in between the two days,3 dives each at the same location my legs were still very good condition and not really tired. Using Bio-fin Pros with spring straps really works great. Comfortable, easy. And even on the second day we had a bit of a head current around the point and still I was good to go.My friend who is using Turtles/Jet fins was really lagging behind and I had to literally stop and wait for him. I must say the Apollo Bio-fins I own were put to the test and results are remarkable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom