Apollo Bio-fins vs. S.Pro Jet fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in the Great Northwest waters typical split fin divers stir up so much silt because of the "flickability". Jets or Turtles with proper training and practice are a far surperior fin for control and movability. You can fin both forward and backward and rotate on a dime (helicoptor turn) all with out stirring up the bottom. I had splits but now I pretty much loathe them for what they do to vis. I should add that there are those rare divers who don't even with splits stir up the bottom.

Get Jets or turtles and learn to frog kick - simple and clean with great control and power.

And isn't it amazing how a NW diver I know swears that EVERYONE in the Puget Sound area wears Apollo Bio-Fins ONLY.....

To be honest I've never tried the jets but I love my bios. I don't think you can go wrong with the bios IMO!!!

I dive turtles and love them but I have to admit, I dont' have enough experience with split fins to really know their strengths and weaknesses. Would love to give them a go to know first-hand.

As many said, they are two completely different types of fin despite the fact that they are all made of rubber.

I am among those do didn't enjoy split fins so I will give my votes to the Jets when it comes performance preferences. Just love the Jets!!!

I've never dove split fins, but wonder if the feeling is similar to a very flexible fin ?

I have a pair of Tusa full foots that are just like the Oceanic Caribe. The fins are very light, very flexible and very fast. They feel like not wearing fins and the 1st few dives were weird. Once I changed to a small quick flutter I took off. The technique is the same as a freestyle swimming kick.

caveseeker7:
The Split Fin is easy to kick, but you can run into problems in a strong current, when moving a lot of gear, or both. The latter happened three weekends ago. I was diving with a couple of other rebreather divers who used the Atomic split fins (by all means pretty good splits) as we ran into quite a current at the end of the dive. They were clawing their way back to the anchor line along the bottom while a swam right past them. Much to be said about streamlining and good fins, though the swim was physically taxing.

I don't dispute your observation, only some of your conclusions. Testing has shown that in general split fins are more efficient.

In fluid dynamics terms there is no difference in fin performance WRT the speed of the current (in fact you can easily determine this by basic deductive reasoning).

So I suspect the reason you swam past them was due to a combination of streamlining, better technique and better fitness.

bradshsi:
Testing has shown that in general split fins are more efficient.
My conclusion may well be wrong, but those are my experiences, and the only reason I keep those old war horses around.

So I suspect the reason you swam past them was due to a combination of streamlining, better technique and better fitness.
Streamlining definitely, technique I would hope so (I frogged, they fluttered), fitness I'm afraid not.

bradshsi:
I don't dispute your observation, only some of your conclusions. Testing has shown that in general split fins are more efficient.

In fluid dynamics terms there is no difference in fin performance WRT the speed of the current (in fact you can easily determine this by basic deductive reasoning).

I've read those tests too, but I disagree. My tests, purely subjective, I assure you, have shown the opposite.

I've seen folks in strong currents with splits, they kick short and fast, but get no where, the fin tips seem to want to curl up in current.

IMO, having used Jets for years and having given the Bios a fair test, caveseeker7 nailed the differences perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom