April '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNOBORDJON:
Seth I didn't realize you lost half your weights! And to think, I was a little over weighted. That crab on your head might have given you a false sence of good buoyancy! Haha

John
But does that not explain why I was FRANTICALLY trying to stay under while doing the safety stop? that was tough... I am still trying to figure out at what point of the dive I lost it.... maybe when I did that upside down viewing of the reef...???

We can always retrace our steps!!! We'll just descend somewhere in the sandy part!

John

Date: Saturday 4/16/05
Dive Location: La Jennelle
Time: 11:10 PM
Bottom Time: 7 minutes
Max Depth: 7 ft.
Vis: 5-8
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 59F
Surface Temp: 64F
Dive Buddies: SoCalAJ, Dominique watching the car.

Comments: Well, I got new gear! Took it out for a test dive, the new wetsuit makes me only lightly less bouyant than Jesus walking on water. Never got down with my usual wieght, and didn't have any extra. Oh, well, it was fun flailing about on the surface, and I definatly got plenty of exersize yesterday! AJ got a crab, and Dominique got frisked by a jerk Ventura County sherrif lookin for a cheap thrill. Huh. I didn't know that sitting in a car reading was a crime. Friggin' jerk-off. Check this out; She told him she was waiting for us , that we were diving, while parked 10 feet from the beach, he asks, "Where?"

(I would have gone to jail, I know I would not have been able to resist the temptation to say, "The Pacific, it's that big body of water to your right. Perhaps you've heard of it?)

Date: 4/17/05
Dive Location: Old Marineland
Time: 10:30am
Bottom Time: 27min
Max Depth: 46 ft
Vis: 3-5 ft (and 5 was generous)
Wave height: 2-5 ft (5ft'ers were on the rocky area... every so often)
Temp at depth: 54
Surface Temp: 59

Comments: Ok so even though today was not a great dive, I got what I asked for. I talked to Melvin (Pasley) yesterday and said that I wanted to work on some navigation today..... Well I got it, and thats about all the dive consisted of... We walked down with all our gear on to the rock point. It looked ok so we made our way down to the water... magically the waves began to pick up to a dangerous level so we S-canned that idea and went to the rocky beach (pebble beach my ***)... we swam out and dropped down in about 20 feet of water. Visibility was nothing to brag about... we swam out to deeper water and still no vis... we navigated around to try and find some of the pinnacles but nothing. The sealife we saw consisted of a few tiny hermit crabs, a few tiny sheep crabs (im talking the size of a quarter) and a few star fish.... talk about uneventful...

Final report: NO GEAR LOST ON THIS DIVE!!! WOO HOO!!

Stryker:
Dive Location: Old Marineland

Comments: Ok so even though today was not a great dive, I got what I asked for. I talked to Melvin (Pasley) yesterday and said that I wanted to work on some navigation today..... Well I got it, and thats about all the dive consisted of... We walked down with all our gear on to the rock point. It looked ok so we made our way down to the water...talk about uneventful...

Falling on your rear end when trying to enter the water was eventful, wasn't it Seth?
:lol:

Dive Location: Montage Resort - Laguna Beach
Time: 8:01 am
Bottom Time: 59 min.
Max Depth: 42'
Vis: 8'
Wave height: 1-2' at entry, 3'+ at exit
Surge: 1-3'
Temp at depth: 55 degrees
Surface Temp: 59 degrees

Comments:

A little bit of red tide hanging near the shore, and a good amount of surge near all three reefs. Aside from a sheep crab and all the regular fishies, nothing too exciting to report. Viz was slightly better in spots at the third reef in 40'+ depth, but still a lot of surge and particles in some places.

Kevin Glenn

MissyP:
Falling on your rear end when trying to enter the water was eventful, wasn't it Seth?
:lol:
1st rule of beach diving: Always have fun.
Second rule of beach diving: What happens in the littoral zone stays in the littoral zone. No fair pointing and laughing in public.... 'nuff said??

Seth, My hat is off to you again for having the wisdom to change the dive plan based on the conditions...especially after getting so many kudos for stylin' through the rocky entry at Marineland's Point a couple of weeks ago. Nothing's worth getting hurt for. It can be challenging to leave the point and head for the "Killer-Pebble beach" since it is often a less interesting dive area (...but not always! Found a cave stuffed full of sleeping sharks one time...in 22fsw!) I'm glad to hear you made it out in difficult conditions. Marineland is a HUGE area. You saw another part today, and you might want to start a hand-drawn map and gradually fill in the blanks as you dive different areas. The variety will surprise you!
Hope you have a great week,
Claudette

Dive Location: Emerald Bay, Catalina
Boat: Island Time
Time: 0930, 1115, 1230
Max Depth: 37'
Vis: started at 25', dropped to 15'
Wave height: flat
Surge: none
Temp at depth: 60 degrees

Comments:

Beautiful conditions, unless you wanted to see anything much. Visibility started at "average" and dropped to "eh, whatever" after a few hours. Very little sealife to be seen. It still beat the heck out of working.

HBDiveGirl:
Second rule of beach diving: What happens in the littoral zone stays in the littoral zone. No fair pointing and laughing in public.... 'nuff said??

wow someone needs to lighten up.

I think both were joking, so both need to calm down and have some dip... haha :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom