April '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl:
What happens in the littoral zone stays in the littoral zone.

Definition:
The littoral zone - the bit between the highest and lowest tide marks on the seashore.

Claudette - did you come up with that expression yourself? I like it!! You crack me up..

QUOTE=HBDiveGirl] You saw another part today, and you might want to start a hand-drawn map and gradually fill in the blanks as you dive different areas. Claudette[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the area Seth saw today is the blank part. Nothing to fill in.

Time 0941
Air Temp: 65
Surface Temp: 58F
Bottom Temp: 52F
Max Depth: 118
Avg Depth: 60
Gas: EAN29
Dive Time: 48 minutes

Time: 11:35
Air Temp 68
Surface Temp 59F
Bottom Temp 51F
Max Depth 60ft
Avg Depth 37ft
Gas: EAN32
Dive time: 38 minutes

Image Gallery

As it was Sean's birthday, we HAD to go diving. All other options seemed ludicrous. Because of the sketchy conditions here, the decision was made to head down Mexico way to try our luck at the off shore pinnacles at La Bufadora. Plans were carefully made and the logistics were all in place, then they went out the window and the adventure began. Leaving the US just slightly behind schedule but with insurance in hand, we headed south....quickly. It was a beautiful morning for a drive and Sean brought coffee so all was good. Even with the delay in departure, we still arrived right on time and loaded the boat into the water. Dale waved goodbye and good luck as we motored into the calm bay. Gone were the huge swells from our last trip here and the crossing to White Rock was smooth and easy. So easy in fact that even Pukey Pup didn't get sick. Things were looking promising for this attempt.

We arrived in short order at the sight. White rock is just off the coast and quite popular with the local sea birds...thus the name. Gear on and ready to go, Sean and buddied up and Tyler and Paul were team two. We discussed the profile, the hazards and having completed our final checks we rolled off the sides of the boat and into the cool water. Smiling, we slipped beneath the calm ocean surface, the silence closing off the chaos of the everyday grind. Like a cool sheet it enveloped us, drawing us down and down and into its embrace.

OK enough of the waxing poetic. Here's how is went! As we made our way down got dark. Not just dim, DARK. NO LIGHT at all from the surface. FINALLY could see the bottom from about 5 ft up. Oh, and it was cold. Even dry, I could tell it was cold by my stinging cheek bones. But hey, the life was EVERYWHERE. Because it was basically a night dive, all the night stuff was out. Cowries were everywhere and the mantles fully unfurled. Brittle Stars moved at a speed that always amazes me. Giant sun stars marauded across the landscape. Oh and there were nudibranchs....everywhere. We spotted 8 different species on the dives. A couple I still need to look in the book to find but we saw Mexichromis, San diego, T. Catalinae, Albopunctatus, Hermissenda, Flavomaculata, and more and more. Fish were a big scarce. We did see some ling cod, rockfish and sheep head. Truly a nice dive in the dark.

Second dive we opted to move back to the kelp bed inside the cove. The swell was growing and we did have a fair amount of surge on the first dive so opted for the more protected kelp bed. After much fun discussing dive plumbing and the proper way to purge the ummmmm....residual fluid from said system, we again suited up. Our loan wet diver was less than enthusiastic at the prospect of getting back into his cold wetsuit. It's a nice suit that keeps him warm at depth but we have all pulled on wet neoprene after a sunless chilly surface interval and it is never a fun thing.

Once in the water we followed the kelp down through the soup to the bottom at 60ft. This site reminds me a lot of the Three Fingers area, we similar structure and life. We spotted few fish here as well but if you like cowries, this is where they all seem to be. We found them crammed into nearly every nook and cranny. Sometimes as many as 15-20 in a small crevice. Strange but beautiful cucumbers in reads and gold’s, their lacy tentacles flowing the current and then drawing the collected nutrients into their mouths. Hermit crabs disappeared quickly into their homes as we approached but would re emerge given time and patience.

But it was COLD. Soon the chill over came the joy and we headed up the line and back to the boat. The sun had come out so we warmed quickly as we motored back in. Loading gear into the boat, we swapped the standard" did ya see's" and "what'd ya see's"

We were all starving at this point so we headed to our favorite taco stand for some carne asada and carnitas and sodas. 6 tacos, two Pepsi <$5. Gotta love it.

We headed out but we got separated when I stopped to fill up. I have almost no sense of direction so before long Sean and I were wandering around Ensenada. Sean's limited Spanish skills got us back on track and we headed light the proverbial Bat outta Hades for the border. I really wanted to get there quickly because I really enjoy the 2.5-3 hour wait to cross over. I was not disappointed this time as they had closed the San Yisedro crossing entrance and we were re-routed to Otay. I thought for sure Paul and Tyler would be waiting at my house but as it turns out they didn't cross over until nearly1.5 hours later. We were all exhausted and although the plan was go buy Sean a couple beverages, it would have to be another day.

It was an adventure and a please diving and driving with "the Crew" We will do it again soon

Terry.
Attached Thumbnails

Seth you are a divin fool. Although it sounds like less fun than normal, the reports are fun nonetheless. How many dives a week are you doing now 30?
Scott sorry to hear about your back,what happened? I was looking forward to meeting you and claudette, Seth said you guys were a lot of fun. Keep me in mind for next time.

John

Date: 4-17-05
Dive Location: Farnsworth Banks (x2) & East End Quarry
Time: 10 am, 12:30 pm, and 3 pm
Bottom Time: 30 min + 13 ascent; 25 min + 22 min ascent; 67 min
Max Depth: 109' ave. 90'; 113', ave 85'; 65', ave 25'
Vis: 40-50' at Farnsworth, 15-23' at the quarry
Wave height: none, zilch, nada, wunderbar!
Temp at depth: 54-56 at Farnsworth; 56 at the quarry.
Surface Temp: not warm enough!
Tide information: what tide? we were in the middle of the freakin' ocean!

Well, apparently the only place vis was to be had was at Farnsworth! It was so awesome! We saw tons of nudibranchs and purple hydrocoral. I also spotted a few patches of lightbulb tunicates! Lots of egg patches in their beautiful lovely rose circles. On the second dive, I spotted two white metridiums, which surprised me as they were both far apart from each other and at only 80 ft depth.

Even thought he vis at Farnsworth rocked, what I saw at the Quarry was incredible. I got sidetracked by a sheephead crabbed that walked out onto the sand, which I followed for a few pics. I end up all alone, so I head back to the kelp (and hopefully one of the 5 people I had descended with) when I see a big sharky tail on the other side of a kelp holdfast. I held my breathe (unintentionally) and turned around to look at the business end of the shark. I couldn't beleive how big it was. It looked 8 feet, so it was probably only 5 - 5 1/2 feet long. It was blueish-silvery. Fat and right down next to the sand!

Ok, so I was elated at the site. When I finally exhaled, it took off like a bat ray. I reentered the kelp forest, continuing on my search for dive buddies. This time, a little more frantically. I didn't want to be mistaken for chum in the water, all by myself, ya know?

I continued along the line of kelp adjacent to the sand. About five minutes later. I see another (or the same?) shark. Ok, I am now a little freaked out. It WAS big. Not a skinny little blue. Not a squat mako. Definately not a leopard - no markings. Upon exhale (another unintended breathe hold) it also takes off (thank goodness!) Now, I make a mad dash through the VERY shallow area (16 ft) back towards the boat....I finally find dive buddies. OK, so now I breathe and I am a mad flailing of underwater signals trying to explain that I saw two big sharks and I am afraid of being chum!

Overall, an awesome day of diving! Still working on what type of shark(s?) I saw. Soupfin or white, not really sure... But what a rush!

Date: 4-15-05
Dive Location: Inland Sea to Blue Hole, Gozo, Malta
Time: 47 mins
Max Depth: 24 meters/ 72ft
Vis: ~20meters /60ft
Wave height: Almost none...´twas great!
Temp at depth: 10-15 C / 50-59 F
Surface Temp: 15C / 59F
Tide information: No tide when we did the dive....

I had heard that this was supposed to be a good dive from friends and the people at the diveshop (Oxygéne Malta) but none of the good things they said did it justice.

Exiting thru the huge tunnel (at Inland Sea) starting at 3m/9ft and finally dropping down past 24m/72ft where it opens up to the open ocean was a wonderful swim. At the end the colour of the water was a truly deep, dark blue colour that I think will stay with me for the rest of my life. Just hovering there and watching the rest of the teams bubbles all the way to the surface was a wonderful and calming experience.

Once in the open ocean we ascended to about 15m / 45 ft (to conserve air). Halfway to azure window and blue hole we found a cave/cavern that we investigated (hadn´t been told about it in our briefing and at first we thought it was the blue hole). That too, dropped down past 20m/60ft but as we wanted enough air to really explore "Blue hole" we were forced to leave before we really wanted.

A short swim further we passed thru the azure window and into blue hole. The white limestone bottom really lighted up the cavern and the water felt warmer. In the back of blue hole there´s a small "cave" that we explored (and practised surprise-airshares) but all too soon it was time to ascend. The safetystop was spent circling my two teammates and enjoying the sunwarmed water in a "cathedral-like" light.

This dive is on my top5 divelist and one of the things that makes me want to go beyond cavern and do cavetraining...If you ever get to or near Malta, not going to Gozo and doing this dive would almost be a crime!

scubalaurel:
I end up all alone, so I head back to the kelp (and hopefully one of the 5 people I had descended with) when I see a big sharky tail on the other side of a kelp holdfast. I held my breathe (unintentionally) and turned around to look at the business end of the shark. I couldn't beleive how big it was. It looked 8 feet, so it was probably only 5 - 5 1/2 feet long. It was blueish-silvery. Fat and right down next to the sand!

Ok, so I was elated at the site. When I finally exhaled, it took off like a bat ray. I reentered the kelp forest, continuing on my search for dive buddies. This time, a little more frantically. I didn't want to be mistaken for chum in the water, all by myself, ya know?

I continued along the line of kelp adjacent to the sand. About five minutes later. I see another (or the same?) shark. Ok, I am now a little freaked out. It WAS big. Not a skinny little blue. Not a squat mako. Definately not a leopard - no markings. Upon exhale (another unintended breathe hold) it also takes off (thank goodness!) Now, I make a mad dash through the VERY shallow area (16 ft) back towards the boat....I finally find dive buddies. OK, so now I breathe and I am a mad flailing of underwater signals trying to explain that I saw two big sharks and I am afraid of being chum!

Overall, an awesome day of diving! Still working on what type of shark(s?) I saw. Soupfin or white, not really sure... But what a rush!
Sounds like a Soupfin.
http://www.divebums.com/Video/

Stryker:
Date: Saturday 4/16/05
Dive Location: Deadman's reef / north crescent
Time: 9:10 AM
Bottom Time: 47 minutes
Max Depth: 67 ft.
Vis: 5-8 on the way down... 10-15 on the reef
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 59F
Surface Temp: 64F
Dive Buddies: Snobordjon (my dive buddy), abrown302, pasley, eyasha, and another person I cant remember his name...

Comments: We swam out and the water was pretty calm so the swim wasnt too tough... We swam too far out so when we dropped down we had to navigate to find the reef.... On descent the visibility was pretty low and dark from the algae blooms. I was expecting it to be a 0 vis dive, but once we got to the sand it wasnt too terribly bad. We made our way over to the reef and Jon and I split off to go find something interesting... unfortunately that was not the case.. I was feeling a little unstable and I couldnt figure out what it was.. later I realized I lost one of my weight pouches (which came back to haunt me later)...

Most of what we saw were garibaldi, a few sea bass, young sheepheads, and lots of blue banded gobies.... At about minute 30 I was trying to pick up a large fishing weight that was in between two urchins, and was trying to avoid getting stuck... Jon began tapping my tank which I thought was accidental.. then he grabbed me and pulled me back a little for me to see a huge sheep crab no more than 12 inches from my head in the strike position.. This is the second time this has happened to me so im starting to get used to it... I put my fin in front of him for him to get something out of me disturbing him, but for the life of him he couldnt grab it... we later dubbed him the mentally handicapped crab... After navigating the sand we concluded the dive....

2 pieces of gear lost this week... not my best week....

Seth,

It was nice to meet you and Kara last weekend... although sorry about your gear loss. It was also GREAT to see Steve and Pasley and dive with Wrinkles again :10: !! Even though conditions were so-so, it was diving, and not as cold as I was fearing (still a chilly 57 though!). Still, the post-dive Husky Boy lunch might have been the highlight of the day... and I think more time was spent cleaning all the sand off the gear than diving (Shhhhhh, Ken :wink: !!).

Hope to see everyone at the May Wrinkles dive!

jennifer

April 20
Escondido Beach Malibu
1' waves
55 degrees
maximum 18 inches of visibility, mostly less

lots of whale snot in the water

Jerry

Spring Fever!!!

4/21/05

Pinnacles/ 'Top' of Deadman's Reef

Surf: 2-4' and growing
Swell: 1-2'
Surge: minimal to moderate
air temp: 72'
water temp: 56' Suunto
Depth: 56'
ABT: 1:03"
Viz: 10-15' at depth; 5-8' in the shallows

Dropped down at drop down point in line with Seal Rock. Took our 240 heading to Deadmans. Went past our usual cornerstone to the Pinnacles. A large octo was immediately spotted inside a crevice. As we dove around the largest of the pinnacles, two brightly colored Spanish Shawls were spotted 'intertwined' with each other. On our way to the next pinnacle, a large moray was seen. Within a few minutes, another moray appeared looking for food. As we prepared food for them, they eagerly came out of their holes in anticipation of being fed. A cool site, indeed! We continued our dive seeing a huge Cabezon, two large Scorpion Fish, Girabaldi's protecting their egg nests, schools of Senorita's, colonies of Cowries with their mantles furled back, a pair of mating Greenlings, a chorus of Spanish Shawls, beautiful sea anemone's in purples, pinks, greens, and magenta; numerous HUGE Ochre Stars including a very beautiful albino along with all the other usual suspects.

All in all a great dive! Thanks to Jennifer Yee and Steve Schirmer for being my buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom