Aqua Lung Servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that you mention it, there’s just something reassuring about having the heft of that nickel plated grass 1085 second stage hanging out of my mouth! Yes there are newer, fancier, more trendy units that have come out since, but as I said, I’ll likely to keep using mine for the decade or so I’ve got left in me for diving. You know what they say about I’d dogs and new tricks.

OTOH, as I also stated, I wouldn’t buy any major piece of new Aqualung equipment until the current kerfufle dies down and is resolved. As a new diver buying new, I’d look at Scuba Pro or one of the other well known and respected manufacturers. Then again, it’s all personal opinion.

🐸

Attachments

• MICR0362.jpeg
    MICR0362.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 51
I have two Conshelf 1st stages which both have fairly fresh rebuilds. I don’t dive them much, but I figure I’ll just dive them into the ground and when they need another service (maybe in 10 years) I’ll worry about it then. I’m fairly confident that the 900001 service kit will be around even if it’s NOS for many years. There has to be millions of those kits still in circulation. If the regs eventually become paper weights then so be it. The metal 1085’s however will keep going for life. All the parts can be sourced from other places to keep those going. They’re very simple.
There are at least two aftermarket 1st stage poppet sources, Trident and VDH (not the military historian), as I recall, and the Mares version works as well. In a pinch you can even resurface them. Conshelfs and 1st Gen Titans are pretty obsolescence-proof.

C'mon, what it this, late night internet noob time?!

You must look beyond what you can see grasshopper

VDH is not in business for the foreseeable future (since Bryan's passing). However The Scuba Museum and Silent Explorers are a couple other parts resources.

Respectfully,

James
Hadn't been there in a long time, and figured the 'store closed' sign was due to the late hour. Sorry to hear...

The “rebuild kit” for the 1085 is pretty minimal. The first stage requires a few more parts but not very many. As others have said, the parts are fairly easily found on the secondary market if you can live without packaging that says AquaLung on it.
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom