Aqualung Fusion Drysuits Comparison?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Anyone know the differences between the different models of Fusion drysuits - Bullet, Fit, Tech, Sport, One, and Essence? I've been on their site, and watched their videos but I find the info vague, other than some have pockets and some don't, and the Fusion One is back-zip and the others are front-zip.

I know the Fit and Essence are for women - Is the Essence the female version of the One? Is the Fit the female version of the Tech?

A comparison chart of all the features would be nice but I can't seem to find one, even on AquaLung's site.

My hubby and I are in the market for an entry level drysuit and really like the price of the Fusion One. If anyone has any experience with this model, I'd love to hear about it!

I have three Fusion suits - two Bullets and a Tech LTD.

Here are the differences, run down and summarized:

Bullet = Thin neoprene skin w/ pockets. Most durable, slightly less flexible than the Tech skin.
Fit = Lady's version of the Bullet

Tech = Thin spandex skin w/ pockets and wear pads. Most flexible, less durable than the Bullet skin.
Sport = Thin spandex skin w/o pockets

One = Back-zip version of the Sport
Essence = Lady's version of the One

They do make damn fine entry-level and rental fleet suits. My most-dived suit has 500+ dives on it. Replaced the neck and wrist seals twice in that time, and it has a very minor pinhole leak in the crotch. I've replaced the Bullet skin on that suit once (skin rotted around the p-valve exhaust because I was rinsing with a bleach solution), and have replaced the velcro around the wrist/ankles once.

Pretty low maintenance for a drysuit, in the grand scheme of things...

-B

Here are the differences, run down and summarized:

Bullet = Thin neoprene skin w/ pockets. Most durable, slightly less flexible than the Tech skin.
Fit = Lady's version of the Bullet

Tech = Thin spandex skin w/ pockets and wear pads. Most flexible, less durable than the Bullet skin.
Sport = Thin spandex skin w/o pockets

One = Back-zip version of the Sport
Essence = Lady's version of the One

They do make damn fine entry-level and rental fleet suits. My most-dived suit has 500+ dives on it. Replaced the neck and wrist seals twice in that time, and it has a very minor pinhole leak in the crotch. I've replaced the Bullet skin on that suit once (skin rotted around the p-valve exhaust because I was rinsing with a bleach solution), and have replaced the velcro around the wrist/ankles once.

Pretty low maintenance for a drysuit, in the grand scheme of things...

-B

Thanks, Brandon! Exactly what I was looking for.

Please explain about the skin...the Fusions are 2 layers, right? The outer layer is called the skin - what's the inner layer called? I know you can buy skins separately...so does that mean all the front-zip suits can interchange skins when they're damaged? Say, I buy a Sport suit and exchange it for a Tech/Bullet skin? Does that work? I guess this wouldn't work for the backzip one. Looking at the prices of the skins themselves, it looks to me the more expensive/important part is the inner layer.

The SLT system is not available on the Fusion One - is this a deal breaker?

I guess backzip is fine since our buddy can always do us up.

The inner is called the DryCore. And yes - the front-zip suits have interchangeable skins. A Sport could become a Tech or Bullet. No problemo.

I don't have the SLT system, and wouldn't consider the lack of availability on the One a deal breaker.

If you have spare seals with you, having replaceable seals is very useful. You tear a neck seal its 10-30 minutes on site to replace, not days at the shop. A wrist seal can be done in 5 minutes or less, not a few days at the shop.

But if you are careful you can go a long time without tearing seals. They will eventually fail, typically you can get a few years out of them if you are careful.

If you have spare seals with you, having replaceable seals is very useful. You tear a neck seal its 10-30 minutes on site to replace, not days at the shop. A wrist seal can be done in 5 minutes or less, not a few days at the shop.

But if you are careful you can go a long time without tearing seals. They will eventually fail, typically you can get a few years out of them if you are careful.

I think we'll be good with a few years. We're not very active divers.

I think we'll be good with a few years. We're not very active divers.
Bizarrely enough, in my experience, infrequent use will make the seals more likely to fail. Dive gear likes to be used.

-B

Why this many suits of the same models?

Maybe because they're great!

Dive Right In Scuba had a sale of skins for $50 about a year ago. If you keep your eyes open, or maybe even call them, you might find a deal. I went from a Sport to a Tech as a result of that sale.

The Tech and the Sport have different material skins. The Tech is a little thicker and heavier. The Sport is VERY light and dries quickly, but won't support built in pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom