Aqualung Legend LX for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba393

Registered
Reaction score
If I purchase a AL Legend LX now for a single tank recreational diving setup, would it be suitable for a twin tank setup in the future if I go into more tech-type diving? Or would I need to go for an Apeks, like many threads I read?

Joel Silverstein of Tech Diving Limited in Arizona has been on the Doria with Legends several times. The are a fine reg. And you will find that the price is a little nicer too. Both the Legend and the Apeks Tech regs are over balanced so it is like comparing aples and apples.
Should you get around to servicing your own regs ( if you can get ahold of kits) you will find the Aqualung kits are a little better priced as well.

The Legend LX would work fine as a primary on set of doubles. I dove a Legend LX Supreme here in the Great Lakes and Florida caves as the primary on my doubles set. There is no real difference between the LX and the LX Supreme -they say the Supreme is a cold water reg but both are sealed so the only real difference is cosmetic. Great reg. Never a problem even in water temps in the 30's and depths of 200' plus including under the ice. I happened to use a Poseidon Xtream as my secondary because its what I had. I wouldn't spend the money for a second Legend as a backup though. I might look for a used lower end Apeks or Titan (or maybe a new HOG) at a good price. Otherwise any good trustworthy reg you have around would be appropriate. I ve seen lots of people around here use Sherwoods because of their ruggedness, cost and ability to handle the cold water. One caveat...if you're going to be diving cold water make sure the reg can take it.

Gary

Ditto on it working great, my original OW Legend reg was last month on a travel stage down to 150 and worked perfectly.

You may consider a complete HOG twin tank setup which is the same as Apeks, has parts and training available now and at a lower price than one, that they call legend.

Twins? Where do you live?

They're awesome regs. I use them on my doubles and love them.

I've been looking for a place to post a question on a Legend LX. I see that the last post here was in Dec, but here goes. I'm getting water in my mouth!! Anywhere from a taste of salt water to a spray that will hit the back of my throat. (carried by the air) The reg just came back from being serviced (NOT). I've tried all external checks to try to find a leak (mouthpiece etc) Any tips from you guys that service your own stuff. (diaphram?) Thanks, I did make an app. to have someone look at it, On Island...

@WetBoy101: After investigating whether there's a problem with the mouthpiece, I'd recommend doing a "vacuum" check.

couv put together a comprehensive pre-dive reg inspection checklist. Pay attention to item #4:
4. Next, watertight checks are also very easy to perform and check the integrity of the second stage housing. Connect the regulator to a tank and without turning on the air (or if you have a good tight dust cap you can use that instead) draw a breath on the second stage and hold it for a few seconds. Do not draw too hard as it will collapse the exhaust valves and cause a leak. Does the regulator hold vacuum? If so, then it is probably watertight. If the regulator fails this vacuum check you probably have a leak in the exhaust valve, the diaphragm or in one of the o-rings sealing the case or through a crack in the case itself.
If you detect a leak while doing this test, you'll have to do more investigating. Unscrew the retaining ring, remove the purge cover, unscrew the diaphragm retainer, remove the thrust washer, and then inspect diaphragm. Is it torn or deformed? The diaphragm should suck in when you inhale and form a seal for the inside of the second stage case. If the diaphragm looks OK, I'd remove it and inspect the exhaust valve. Either one of those parts is easy to replace. It's also possible that an o-ring needs to be replaced (or installed, if the tech forgot about it in the first place)...or...yikes...the case is cracked. The case would be a more expensive part to replace.

If the above looks too difficult to do (or you can't unscrew the retaining ring to access the inside of the second stage), then take it back to the shop that overhauled it for you and request that they troubleshoot it for you.

FWIW, I don't trust regs after servicing -- particularly when someone else overhauls them. I chalk up the next couple of dive outings to "gear check" dives. I keep the dives shallow and easy. Nothing aggressive.

By the way, have you been doing comprehensive pre-dive checks on your reg? If not, you should. Refer to couv's post linked above. It's a wonderful list.

Good luck.

I tried the vacume test again...no leak! It is a very inconsistent issue. Yesterday on my first tank, it only happened once (but that's still once to often) second I'm thinking it could be an issue that is affected by the increased pressure during a dive, since I can't seem to duplicate it on the surface!? Thank you for the info on the checklist. Great addition to my growing list.

Do you have spare cable ties, post the complete forensic examination of your removed mouth pieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom