Aqualung purchasing blues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suggestion is to switch LDS.

Try Blue Clear Divers in Knoxville - Bobby will work with you, price and service wise. Not to mention the instruction there is first rate.

The local AL LDS is not one you want to deal with. I sold all my AL equipment because of his outrageous service charges (for just adjusting a slight freeflow on an Octo).

Besides, if you check out the recent thread on AL, you will not want to deal with them.

PM me and we can "chat" about LDS's in Knoxville area.

Aqualung makes good stuff... but...
After learning about the crap Aqualung has pulled, like many other divers here, the only buy Aqualunt if it was a "clearance special" being sold by Phil.

Otherwise, I'd buy another brand besides Aqualung

I would agree with most others posted ahead, you can do better with another LDS. The pricing of the reg itself should not vary greatly from one LDS to another. They will hold a bottom line price based on their dealership agreement with AL. The trick is to get them to that line. Don't be afraid to haggle and drop names and prices.

The set-up charge is ridiculous. I have paid extra for hose protectors and that's it on a reg set-up.

As for the $150 price difference on the internet deal, I would think that if you have annual service done and, they replace parts in the reg (they normally do), you'd probably break even on the $150 price break after 3 or so annual inspections by not having to pay for parts. I have a Legend. Last annual was $50.00. If you mail out your regs for servce to LP or anybody else, add in the cost of insuring and shipping the package. What a hassle.

I'm familiar with Bobby down at blue clear and I get tanks and other accesories through him. I contacted another dive shop that's within an hour's drive and they have alot better deal.

I fully understand that this gear is life support. If i were to buy anything used, online, etc. I'd take it and have it serviced before even thinking of using it.

Yes as the person I talked to informed me anything bought through this particular lds is $30 to assemble it. an additional $40 if bought from another place whether it's new, used, same brand, different brand, etc.

Now I plan to make my purchases within 2 months. I was planning on purchasing on credit but I'll just forgo having my own gear for the peak of this season (already waited 6 years since being certified to get reg and bcd why not wait longer? Just have to rent yet again) I'll just forgo the % interest on the gear.

Some shops have credit plans arranged through local banks that essentially allow you to purchase gear, take it home that day and pay over a few to several months for about $50.00 total in fees. It's cheaper over the course of the season than paying equipment rental fees.

herman:
But how much of the bill is parts and how much is labor...only the parts are "free". We are talking about the value of the warranty. You are going to pay the associated labor reguardles of the warranty.

True. I have two (2) Legend LX rigs. I paid $25-$35 each per annual, so $50-$70 total.

Now though, I completed Aqualung service tech training last fall, so I can now save the labor too.

It just gets better all the time!

offroaddiver:
I've heard that aqualung doesn't honor their own lifetime warrantee if you do not buy their regulators through an authorized dealer. Now here comes the big ?... I'm looking at leisurepro.com and they have the regulator i want at $150 less that the LDS that carries the same. That is including difference with shipping and taxes accordingly.
I've heard that aqualung WILL NOT honor the warrantee if bought through LP .
Is this true? Will LP take care of any problems with the regulator? What all do I have to do to keep the warrantee intact?

IS THIS REALLY WORTH THE $150 FOR ALL THIS TROUBLE?

I called the LDS and asked them prices to confirm all this. Now get this. $30 extra to install any equipment bought in the LDS on the first stage (including gauges, octo, etc.) There is a $70 charge for items not bought in the store (ie. if i bring a lp hose that goes to a drysuit in)
Now here's another kicker...if i install anything on my own on this stage the warrantee is null and void.

Is this LDS an example of what to expect or should i just get whatever I want and just forget this troubles?

Side note the regulator I am wanting to purchase is the aqualung legend lx supreme

I just put my head on my desk and cried!!!

NO this is NOT an example of what you should expect from any LDS that sells any Brand. Putting a hose on will not void a warranty.

Do them a favor, call and explain you were surprised at their charges, tell them you prefer to buy local, tell them you posted this here, let them read the comments. Give them the chance to earn your business even after they already trashed it once. Just possibly they may think about this and reconsider their approach.

Maybe that is too much of a pain for you (for me it most likely would be). A couple people mentioned Bobby at Blue Clear, I like him and when I was the Mares rep we spent hours discussing cust service in the industry, I know he thinks differently from the store you mentioned. The Oceanic dealer in Knoxville is also much more cust. orientated than this (another Bobby...) The Delta 4/FDX10 is as good as anything that AL/Apeks makes:D

I'm just going to shut up, this is the type of thing I see and hear about everyday that pisses me off because all it does is hurt the industry...

mike_s:
Aqualung makes good stuff... but...
After learning about the crap Aqualung has pulled, like many other divers here, the only buy Aqualunt if it was a "clearance special" being sold by Phil.

Otherwise, I'd buy another brand besides Aqualung

I agree with everything you said except that they make some good stuff. like what?

catherine96821:
I agree with everything you said except that they make some good stuff. like what?

Like regulators, BC's, wetsuits, etc.

C'mon, let's not degrade this into a "Mine's better than yours" argument. I could list several brands that I think are sub-par, but that doesn't make it fact. What I may percieve as hard breathing, difficult to repair, low performing, may be the exact opposite to you.

Back
Top Bottom