Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrooklynBond

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

Would anyone here know for certain what type of Aqualung regulator this is ? It's on a 1965 trading card from Thunderball. It didn't appear in the actual movie, but was included in photo shots for the trading cards I attached a couple of pics from. I believe it to be either the Aqualung Conshelf or Calypso ? I could be wrong ?

What could help determine what model it exactly is would be if anyone knew for certain the years of production for Aqualung regulators. It obviously has to be a regulator produced only up to 1965. That could help narrow it down...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Dave
917-586-2118

Attachments

• IMG_3532.png
    IMG_3532.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3795.png
    IMG_3795.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3532.png
    IMG_3532.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3795.png
    IMG_3795.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 58
It is an early 1085 second stage. The decal is missing that differentiated the models based on the first stage which is not visible in the photos.

It is an early 1085 second stage. The decal is missing that differentiated the models based on the first stage which is not visible in the photos.
What is a 1085 second stage ? So what model was it called ? Is it a Calypso or Conshelf or neither ?

I'm not sure it's a 1085. Look at the pic I just attached with the 2 details I circled. In this photo the regulator has an indentation on the casing and also has a knob like piece on the bottom. The 1085 has neither. Don't you agree ? I could be wrong tho.

Attachments

• IMG_3795.jpeg
    IMG_3795.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 64
I don't know the model number, but it's their standard second stage from themid to late '60s. Here it is with the Deepstar first which was made from 1965-1969.

Capture.JPG

That image is from the 1968 catalogue. Here's the rest of the page which shows the same second stage with the Conshelf VI and 2 versions of the Calypso.

Ok so now we have the 1085, Deepstar, Conshelf and Calypso as a possibility. Does anyone know if the Calypso was made after 1965 ? That could be eliminated if so...and Thank you NEMROD, IOWWALL and anyone else in advance for answering me ! Much appreciated guys !

Ok so now we have the 1085, Deepstar, Conshelf and Calypso as a possibility. Does anyone know if the Calypso was made after 1965 ? That could be eliminated if so...and Thank you NEMROD, IOWWALL and anyone else in advance for answering me ! Much appreciated guys !
I think you are missing something. US Divers aka Aqualung only sold their first and second stages as pairs. The first stages were different and had different names, but they all used the same second stage. The only difference between the second stages was the sticker with the first stage name. That sticker is missing on your photo so there's no way to tell what the first stage is.

"1085" is the second stage that followed this one. I believe the name is just the model number from the catalog.

You can see all the catalogs from that era here: https://personal.filesanywhere.com/guest/fs?v=8d6d638a5f6075b5a46a

Click on the "I Agree", then "Manuals and Catalogs", then scroll down and click on "US Divers Catalogs". Happy hunting.

I refer to those as a two screw tee 1085, maybe I am wrong in doing so. USD used the same second stages through I think about 1969, 1970 era. Then they went to the larger exhaust valve and deeper case with the exhaust plenum large slip on tee:

These were both purchased by me new in about 1966. Here is the rear view of two cases showing the larger exhaust valve that came out for the last year of the two screw tee cases (1969?):

A photo of the inside of the two screw on the bottom and a "Conshelf" 1085 from circa 1976. If you look closely on the "Conshelf" 1085 you will see that the "screw" bosses are soldered closed to accomadate the revised case stamping for the large valve and plenum which is soldered where the screw boses used to be. The back cases are otherwise the same:

Which the later versions were with the large exhaust valve, the plenum and a slip on tee and are good regs even today. The two screw models with the tiny exhaust valve are a good way to get a major CO2 retention headache or worse:

Back
Top Bottom