AquaLung Zuma - ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tom1,
I guess I had not thought about the durability question.... I am used to diving with my Mares Dragon and it has been very robust no matter what I have thrown at it so far.

Sorry for your misfortune on the BC, but thanks for your inputs.

Hi Tom1,
I guess I had not thought about the durability question.... I am used to diving with my Mares Dragon and it has been very robust no matter what I have thrown at it so far.

Sorry for your misfortune on the BC, but thanks for your inputs.

Thanks for reply Kona74. I did not have any problems with current or stability. One other point is shoulder straps are not quick release and didn't like that. But positives over came that one. I was a backpacker/rock climber in my younger days and liked the design principle. The Zuma shifted weight to the hips instead of shoulders and lower back. Just like a backpack. I'm older now and have low back issues. It made it easier for me to move on boat and come up the ladder with weight on my hips instead of shoulders and mid back pushing me forward. Those points and travel was why I chose Zuma. Now back to shopping.....

Best to all

Thanks for reply Kona74. I did not have any problems with current or stability. One other point is shoulder straps are not quick release and didn't like that. But positives over came that one. I was a backpacker/rock climber in my younger days and liked the design principle. The Zuma shifted weight to the hips instead of shoulders and lower back. Just like a backpack. I'm older now and have low back issues. It made it easier for me to move on boat and come up the ladder with weight on my hips instead of shoulders and mid back pushing me forward. Those points and travel was why I chose Zuma. Now back to shopping.....

Best to all

I also have broke L4 lumbar spine on a parachute jump so I can not use integrated weights as the stress of the extra weight on the sholders helps to compress the spine. I easily cut the intgrated weights off the Zuma for a more streamlined front. I then wear th ole weight belt which sits on my hips bellow where I broke my back and takes all the pressure off the spine.

I also wore the Zuma through IDC, and in rescue senario number 7 the fellow canidates had issues getting me quickly out of the Zuma. They would loosen all the straps, and submerge the zuma and drag it under and over my head like you would take off a shirt in one quick motion.

I have the first generation zuma that does not have reinforcing between the tank strap and the bladder. When I getting into a steel 120 cu/ft tank, the tank strap tore through the bladder destroying the bcd. I liked the bcd but I had less than 50 dives on it before it was done. I went back to my LDS I found that Aqualung has not recalled the first generation BCD, but they have added a stitched leather like reinforcing near the tank strap area. So if you buy a zuma make sure to closely check for this flaw.

I bought the Zuma in February and took it on two trips. I liked how it performed and it packed very well. However, on the second trip, the bladder was punctured either via abrasion or pinching (have no idea how it happened). My LDS was able to get AquaLung to replace it, but I decided to take advantage of the LDS's upgrade policy and got 100% credit toward the Balance. I know the Balance is several pounds heavier and won't pack as easily, but it gives me peace of mind to know that the bladder is more rugged.

My wife took a new Zuma to Fiji last spring after diving with a Zeagle Ranger prior. She really liked it. Light, compact and really durable for a travel BC. She trimmed out nice. We dove in a full moon cycle, so there was more surge and current than normal and the BC did just fine. I think the diver has more to do with it when encountering that anyway. She recommends it. (I use a BP/W). If the plastic D rings are the only thing:D that bothers (it shouldn't, but id it does) than cut them off and replace them with SS rings. No biggie. Happy diving

I ordered the Zuma for my girlfriend and myself along with the Apeks Flight reg, but after hearing all the concerns about durability, I am now questioning my decision... The last thing I want is a BC that leaks while I'm diving!!! We will see but I may return them and go with the Zeagle Stiletto instead...

Back
Top Bottom