Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably not appropriate for the America-centric forum, but you can do them in Sydney (Australia, not Nova Scotia) as well.

The Disney aquarium in Epcot is 150$ per person, one tank.
Lasts a minimum of 4 hours.

They give you a backstage tour, a safety check that you know your stuff. Padi OW minimum cert.

Bonus, you get to interact with the guests on the other side of the glass.

Minus, you *cannot* use your own gear, not even your own mask.

They allow ONLY the personal mask since many are perscription. They did used to allow outside gear but one diver brought in his own gear which contained marker die to be used in case of sea rescue. It somehow came open and contaminated the entire tank turning the water red. The report was it took a significant period of time to remove all the color contamination and ever since then they have a mask only policy. They make this exception because many mask are perscription mask.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 09:41 PM ----------

Also an FYI they require a minimum Open Water cert from any agency though the program is a NAUI program. The program starts outside of the gate to meet the dive staff of which you are taken to a room and watch a small orientation video of the tank and sign all the appropriate paperwork. After these are done you then go to a locker room that has your wetsuit and ready for you (They take your sizes up front) and they give you a locker to put your dry clothes in. You then go through the tank viewing area where all the kids and visitors see you parade through and go to the door that leads to a stairwell and you walk up to a plat form where you line up. They give a briefing of the gear they use and do a real quick dive plan.

Once it starts you suit up and get into the water where the staff helps put your BCD on you and gives you fins. You then swim out (Surface) to a buoy set up so that you can decend as a group. They then have you do a real quick check out dive where they make sure you are comfortable with the environment and they do some swim throughs of the artificial coral. Once you complete the checkout portion you are turned loose to explore the tank on your own (Staff is there but its no longer guided) after which the staff picks up 2 rocks and bangs them together to get your attention to meet back at the buoys. Then you come back and get out of the tank.

You parade back to the classroom and watch a real quick video of your dive which was taken by the in water video person and given the option to buy one if you like (At the gift shop) and you then exit in to the park.

I dove the Baltimore Aquarium last fall. Max depth was like, 13' and IMHO not really worth it for the price you pay. I can take it off my diving bucket list but I doubt I would ever do it again.

I just dove Epcot last weekend. The dive is def worth it. Temp was about 75 and they give you all the gear. The only issue I had with the dive was that you were in a shorty wet suit and they jammed your weight pockets as full as they could. I wore my own mask an brought my own computer. (citizen dive watch so I didn't know thr exact water temp). It was 40 mins. The best part is that once you did an initial swim around led by the dm, you were able to swim around on your own. I dove the aquarium in Guam and it was led by a dive guide and then you were behind a net for them to bring the sharks by. I thought about buying the video. It was $35 for about a 10 min video but since my lds is going to let me take customers there, I will wait to buy a video when I do it again when my wife is in the park.

Anyone ever do the Georgia aquarium? The wife and I are thinking about doing that in December.

I'm one of the DMs at the Ga Aquarium so I'm a bit biased but it's definitely a fun dive. Any questions about it?

It may have been mentioned but the (epcot) tank of air is bottomless. If you run low they will swap you a fresh cylinder in a jiffy so everyone can enjoy the entire tile allotted.

Back
Top Bottom