Are all divers friendly and respect fellow divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is cutting the air line constructive? :wink:

If there is a nice computer on the end of that line....then I would say :thumb:...joking of course

Divers are of the human species, therefore there are some who are totally unaware of their surroundings and (perhaps not intentionally) interfere with other divers, there are some who are just plain *ssh*les, but the vast majority of the ones I've met and interacted with are great people.

My wife (who is not very expririenced diver) slowly starts swimming to the same spot intrigued to see what is in there. Suddenly guy with the camera realizes that he needs another shot, turns around and swims back to the spot like his life depends on this. Obviously, he collides with my wife and poor girl immediately gets into uncontrolled ascent. Thankfully, I grabbed her and we are all fine. I was seriously condisidering punching this quy in the face but was able to control myself. Have you guys seen such selfish behavior and what the best way to handle it?

Your criticism of rude behavior in general, not just divers, is certainly justified. However, if you "seriously consider punching another diver in the face" because he probably didn't see your wife due to the restricted field of view, what makes you stand out from the rude crowd? Also, if your wife gets into an uncontrolled ascent only because someone bumps into her, I'm sorry, but in that case she belongs in the pool for more training, not at the bottom of the ocean.

I find most divers to be quite nice, but at times a little oblivious to their surroundings. Part of the problem is the limited field of view and how people deal (or don't) with their limited peripheral vision. Sure, there are plenty of camera hogs and poor divers, but I give them a very wide berth.

As for cattle boats, I have no problem diving from them. The majority of people stick to the dive master like glue and will salivate and come every time the dive master clanks his tank. Its hard to believe, but for every creature the dive master points out, there are thousands more just hanging out, alone, and feeling ignored. My wife and I do our own thing and stray pretty far from the dive group, while still sticking to the dive plan, at least in spirit (we return to the boat within the allotted time).

Since I have an inflated ego and use a huge camera with dual strobes, I carry a knife to get other people with little point and shoot cameras out of my way.:wink: Actually, I find my own subjects and swim in the opposite direction of anything the dive master is trying to point out. By the time the crowd figures out that I've found something good, I'm done taking pictures and move on. I've been kicked enough times that it just isn't worth trying to take pictures or even observe something when surrounded by a crowd.

Ha! ha! The absolute worst diver I've ever met was also the most unlikely. Met him on a boat last week in Cozumel. It started out bad right away. The DM asked him to remove his knife and gloves because they are not permitted in the Marine Park. He flat out refuses. No explanation given.

Then he's banging into everyone and shoving the other divers out of the way to get his photos. The DM TWICE warned him to stop grabbing the coral to get his camera into position. Then another warning to stop laying on the reef to get shots.

Nobody on the boat could even tolerate being around him. After we got back and he left, everyone else quickly requested that he NOT be put back on our boat.

Now, here's the real kicker. He's an instructor. And only so proud to tell you all about how long he's been teaching scuba. You'd think that an instructor would be a "model" diver. Following instructions and being helpful. This guy was anything but helpful.

Flat out, the worst diver I've ever met. The worst ones are the ones who think they know everything but really don't know squat.

I'd rather have a noob who doesn't know much and knows they don't know much. They will at least be reasonable and listen to the divemaster's instructions.

-Charles

My first dive trip ever was to Cozumel. On my first night dive the same person 1) knocked my reg out of my mouth, 2) kicked my mask off and 3) kicked me square in the jaw. I told the police that she never saw the shark, it just ate her! :wink:not really but it certainly made my dive less enjoyable than it should have been. I tried to stay away but the person found a way to come from below, behind and above to kick me. I just let it go. I did figure my training was good because I found my reg, grabbed my mask and put it back on and cleared it and did panic when I took a solid hit on my jaw. All that and I got back into the boat none the worse for wear! EVERYONE else was very considerate. I have never before in my life had so much fun. Meeting people and enjoying their company!

Did someone perhaps have a contract on your head....an jealous ex perhaps? :D Sounds like a "fun dive" :wink:

My first dive trip ever was to Cozumel. On my first night dive the same person 1) knocked my reg out of my mouth, 2) kicked my mask off and 3) kicked me square in the jaw. I told the police that she never saw the shark, it just ate her! :wink:not really but it certainly made my dive less enjoyable than it should have been. I tried to stay away but the person found a way to come from below, behind and above to kick me. I just let it go. I did figure my training was good because I found my reg, grabbed my mask and put it back on and cleared it and did panic when I took a solid hit on my jaw. All that and I got back into the boat none the worse for wear! EVERYONE else was very considerate. I have never before in my life had so much fun. Meeting people and enjoying their company!

I have had so very few bad experiences that I hesitate to tell the story that follows because it is not representative of my general experiences. It is, however, representative of an attitude that I think exemplifies the major problem with such people in any sport.

I was on a liveaboard, and the diver in question was my roommate and my buddy for the dives. What I am about to describe was "the last straw" after a series of more minor experiences of this nature.

We were briefed on a dive that would follow a somewhat circuitous route through a coral reef and end in the remnants of a cavern. (The roof the the cavern was above sea level, so it was not a true overhead environment.) The description of the cavern in the briefing made it sound really exciting. Our boat load was divided into two groups, and each group was assigned a DM to make sure we got to the cavern correctly. We were in the second group.

My buddy was a photographer with a really nice digital camera. He also had a film camera which he usually asked me to carry for him in case he wanted to use it. He found a lot to photograph on the first part of the dive. A lot. And he wanted to get just the right shot, so it was not unusual for him to take 10-12 shots of the same thing. (That is both the joy and horror of digital photography.) Every time we would find something, those who saw it first would take a quick glance and then get out of the way for someone else. When he got there, though, he set up camp. Those who were behind him in line sometimes gave up.

After a while, the dive consisted mostly of the group hanging around waiting for him to be done with a shot. The DM was new to the job and should have been more assertive about moving us along. I tried to give him some "Let's get going" signals, but to no avail. He wanted his shots, and he would not be hurried.

Eventually we all ran low on air and surfaced.

Back on the liveaboard, the divers in the first group were all aglow about how beautiful the cavern had been. My buddy was raving about how many great shots he got. I said, "You know, I kind of wanted to see that cavern. I heard it was really nice."

He replied, "Not me! I'm interested in living things, not dead stones."

The skipper of the boat, who was well aware of what happened, solved the problem by telling my buddy that he was a really good photographer himself, and he offered to take him on special dives, just the two of them, for the rest of the trip. My buddy was thrilled with the extra attention he was getting, and he apologized for the fact that I would have to get along without him.

He exemplified what I see is with certain problem participants in any activity, people whose only interest is in themselves and what the experience is for them; people who are totally oblivious to the fact that other people have needs, too, and that sometimes it's a good thing to give up a little of what you want so that others can have a little of what they want, too.

I guess these people were absent when they had the taking turns lesson in Kindergarten.

We learned during a group trip that people tend to behave underwater the same way they do on land. If they are nice topside, they will probably be nice underwater. If they are incompetent on land, they will be underwater.

And, if someone is an a-hole before jumping in the water, they will still be one underwater.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Hijacks removed.
Stay in your own pond if you need to play.

Back
Top Bottom