Are all OW dives drift dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My bride and are headed to Cancun in mid May and we are wanting to get a day of diving in while we are there.

She's been diving for many years, while I have only been certified for about 5 years - so not newbies, but not cave certified, either.

We prefer reef dives where we can explore/observe the wildlife at our pace and not zoom by on a drift dive. Does this exist in the Cancun area? What operation would you suggest? I'm not sure where we are staying other than "Resort Row" in Cancun. I can get the name later this evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't speak about Cancun, but drift dives are good, I too do not want to zoom by stuff, but that's more of a function of currents than the style of dive, and if the currents are strong, that's when drift diving is even more beneficial.

Can't get any easier than drift dives, drop in, go with the current, ascend!

We prefer reef dives where we can explore/observe the wildlife at our pace and not zoom by on a drift dive. Does this exist in the Cancun area?

ad using Tapatalk

Yes non-drift dives exist. Some sites in one part of the day might be slow to no current and the next day may be faster current. Whomever you dive with tell them what you want and see what they can do.

I did several dives out of cancun in Dec of 2008 spread over three days. I did a number of shallow "driftish" dives on reefs. The current was slow. It was easy to stop and take some pictures ore poke around. We dropped and drifted along and then went up an were picked up. I went with Manta another bigger op but liked Manta more. Saw a fair ammont of life, lots of turtles. Some eagle rays. Quite pleasant.

Did one dive on the C-58t. A bit deeper around 60 ft. Two halves of a large ship. Those were hot drops and can have current but there was not much that day.

Photos at Cancun Photos were with my old camera and early on in my photo taking so not the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom