Are Back Inflate and BP/Wings the same thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay once bubbled...
...About the differences between a jacket, a back-inflate, and a "bp/wings" BC at http://www.islc.net/~bayne/homebc.html . The differences go beyond the simple idea of minimalizing failure points and getting rid of the plastic pieces.

Very well written SeaJay. For anyone that has used a BP&W, as well as the other types of BC's, I think they would agree with you completely.

Like I said in my earlyer post, I haven't taken the Mares Syncro Tech (Back Inflate) BC out of the closet in nearly 2 years. And switching from a single tank set up with tank adapter and Rec Wings to a doubles set up with Super Wings takes all of 10 minutes.

My comment about the plastic parts was something I had always thought was rather ironic when used as an argument in favor of a BP&W style rig. I think the points you make in your artical are more appropriate when discussing the pros and cons of the different styles.

Scott

Boogie711 once bubbled...
OK - let me see if I can do this without starting WW3.

I know Leadweight gave up on using one after one weekend of using a poorly adjusted one...

Leadweight, I know, dives a Transpac II, as do a number of people. A Transpac is a back inflate BC which is rather minimalist in design, but can also accomodate a backplate should the user desire it.

LW was last seen somewhere in the Bermuda triangle....:eek:ut:

I don't think that a Transpac II is intended by its manufacturer to accomodate a backplate. Diverite makes some glorified washers called stabilizer bars to be used when bolting up a set of doubles with a manifold and bands. Diverite also makes some gadgets for attaching independent twin tanks. There are some other softpacks that are designed to allow a backplate to slip in, such as the OMS IQ & Deepoutdoors BC's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom