are clear-skirt masks doomed to yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowing IS inevitable on 'clear' silicone masks, plus clear silicone masks rapidly develop a layer of what looks like 'milky soap scum' on them as well, that you can (with moderate pressure and a clean rag/towel) wipe off, but's it's annoying maintainance you have to do often. I used to only dive clear silicone masks as well, but a few years ago switched over to black silicone, which avoids both 'issues'. I adjusted to the black silicone masks very quickly and now prefer them anyway. Modern low-volume black silicone masks really don't suffer from the "claustrophobic" problem in real life, and I'll bet if she tried out the Atomic frameless in black silicone she would be quite happy with it. (Atomic has them in 2 sizes so try both sizes for fit)

grab one of the ones that I linked you for $20, they are super low volume, have great peripherals, and no glare problems. I could see the pores in my skin and all of the fog on my mask skirt last week, it was positively infuriating with that clear mask in the sun. Worst case it's your backup mask, best case she likes it and you have to get another one, two is still half the price of one of the Atomics, and they aren't any better quality of a mask....

I'd like to get an atomic frameless mask with a clear skirt for my wife (and my backup when she isn't using it :wink: ), but I hate to think that I could buy a $100 mask and it will turn yellow after some use. Is there a way to prevent this? What is happening exactly that causes this?

Thanks.

I guess it depends on how much you dive. For active divers, replacing the mask every now and then is normal.

R..

yeah that dive rite bug eye mask is horrible. The one I linked you is all but identical to the Hog Razorbak, and it is an awesome mask, I have a few of them and prefer it to my Atomic mask....

Mine is the Atomic Ultra Clear Subframe mask.

???? Has anyone else got avast blocking the 2nd page of this thread? Then again if you did you won't be reading this. hmmmm
[h=1][/h]

Mine is the Atomic Ultra Clear Subframe mask.

???? Has anyone else got avast blocking the 2nd page of this thread? Then again if you did you won't be reading this. hmmmm
i can read it...but i have my settings such that i see all these posts on one page.

why buy a clear mask? They are absolutely horrible..... Was diving with one all of last week *long story, but it is my rx mask and was given to me*, and the glare from it was infuriating.

Explorer II Frameless Mask " Titanium Frame w/ Titanium Color Skirt"
also, that is a really damn good mask, price aside, but with the price it makes it that much better.....

That 170 degree horizontal view alone make me want to try one. But I am afraid it doesn't fit my face.

I use both black and clear mask. I kind of prefer clear for open water because I can notice light signal a lot quicker. But the big constraint is teammate needs to use the light properly. Otherwise, it can be stressful and/or annoying.

Oh I also notice clear/light color mask come out better on pictures.

Back
Top Bottom