Question Are muck sticks allowed in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The majority of divers I see using a muck stick use it like a crutch to make up for deficiencies in buoyancy, trim, and propulsion. Once they start using it, what is the motivation to improve other dive skills?

After many years of diving the island on a regular basis, I know of no law prohibiting the use of muck sticks. I myself, along with a bevy of other local divers/photographers, use or carry them on a regular basis. In general, they are used for signaling devices, monopods for cameras, and marking critters for other divers, not to compensate for bad buoyancy.

Sounds like a mixed bag of pro vs con.

My experience has been that it is used as the crutch for bad skills almost all of the time.

My experience has been that it is used as the crutch for bad skills almost all of the time.
You've said that -- or close to it -- six times in this thread. We got it.

Jesus, just bring the frickin' stick and if someone (guide/DM) tells you you can't use it, then don't. What's so hard about figuring this out, no one has an answer so continuing the bickering isn't going to product an answer from the ether. It's not like you're thinking about packing a scooter or RB or something that materially impacts your travel strategy.

I don't recall ever seeing divers using muck sticks, so from my experience they don't seem to common, granted I've never been looking, and I'm also not typically looking for ways to be annoyed by or feel superior to my fellow divers.

What does stand out without having to look for are bicycle kickers with bad trim/buoyancy stirring things up, but they're usual easily avoided and tend to drift higher in the water column away from the reef/bottom as the dive progresses. They never seem to have cameras... well maybe a go pro on a stick... if that counts.

I can thank my trusty muck stick for helping me get out of a couple sticky situations.On a dive in Lembeh a fierce down current came in while I was diving on a sandy-ruble slope, both my guide and I were kicking like mad up the slope making no progress, we were at 25 meters and we ended up using our muck sticks to claw up way back up slope to safety. Same thing happened on a dive in Bali except we were at 30 meters and repeated the process of climbing our way back to safety.
Properly used they are a great tool to help keep you off the bottom and also steady in a bit of current while shhoting photos and when your ready to exit after shooting photos of a subject you give a little push along with proper finning technique and this helps you to not stir up the muck.
Have I seen muck sticks used improperly or as a crutch you bet, but mine will remain clipped to my BCD and used properly.

Jesus, just bring the frickin' stick and if someone (guide/DM) tells you you can't use it, then don't. What's so hard about figuring this out, no one has an answer so continuing the bickering isn't going to product an answer from the ether. It's not like you're thinking about packing a scooter or RB or something that materially impacts your travel strategy.
LOL. That is exactly my plan. It seemed a simple question, but clearly it hit a nerve. There is no restriction on them in the CITA Watersports Operations Guidelines, although gloves are mentioned as not allowed.

LOL. That is exactly my plan. It seemed a simple question, but clearly it hit a nerve. There is no restriction on them in the CITA Watersports Operations Guidelines, although gloves are mentioned as not allowed.
If your planning on diving Grand, and someone informs you, you can't use your muck stick, contact me, and I'll point you in another direction. That is provided your not utilizing it to abuse marine life or dive masters. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom