Question Are muck sticks allowed in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank bangers don't damage the reef. Sticks can, if not used responsibly. For me, they should fit into same category as gloves. I totally agree with Mcohen. If you don't have the skill set to hover you should leave the camera home. I've witnessed numerous divers poking sticks into healthy reef and also prodding creatures.

If they haven't yet, CITA should address this issue.

I can see using one to point at something or as a signaling device. But it should not come down to a choice between the stick and crashing into the reef. If you do not have the skills to take a pic and not crash into things, leave the camera behind and better your skills.
I don’t use one but I do occassionally place a single finger on a barren spot to steady myself in a current. I have on occasion placed several fingers or dug into the sand in a whipping current. All without a camera. I see no issue with strategically placed muck sticks when allowed.

You are interpreting use of a stick with a lack of buoyancy control which is an assumption that often is not valid.

You are interpreting use of a stick with a lack of buoyancy control which is an assumption that often is not valid.
Generally they go hand in hand the majority of the time.

My experience with divers has been that it is not an occasional use, but it's in their normal practice

It is disappointing that some seem to think that carrying a muck stick implies no buoyancy control, and that without buoyancy control one should not carry a camera. I actually tend to agree with the latter --- but clearly many divers don't -- and reject the former from personal experience.

if we are truly concerned with mitigating negative effects on the reef, then we should not allow flutter kicks anywhere near the bottom -- because the bottom is stirred up by the turbulence from that kick -- and we should not allow a vertical position near the reef, because ANY kick will disturb the bottom. How many divers have you seem come and take a close-up look at something, and then kick like crazy right past it to get out of the way of the next person? That is far more disturbing to the reef -- and the critter -- than the occasional muck stick on sand or a rock or dead coral.

a muck stick in the Caribben implies no buoyancy control, and that without buoyancy control one should not carry a camera.

Fixed it for you - and yes they should not be used in the Caribbean and cameras should stay at home if you dont have control. lol

and we should not allow a vertical position near the reef, because ANY kick will disturb the bottom.

On wall dives? :rofl3:

How many divers have you seem come and take a close-up look at something, and then kick like crazy right past it to get out of the way of the next person?

Every trip. That is why I have taken each new diver in the family over the last 12 years and taught them my way of diving... arms crossed, and breath control buoayncy while working the topography to avoid being swept in currents, crashing into the reef or other divers... and other best practices.

Fixed it for you - and yes they should not be used in the Caribbean and cameras should stay at home if you dont have control. lol

On wall dives? :rofl3:

Every trip. That is why I have taken each new diver in the family over the last 12 years and taught them my way of diving... arms crossed, and breath control buoayncy while working the topography to avoid being swept in currents, crashing into the reef or other divers... and other best practices.
Hard to use arm dump or dive light with arms crossed.

The majority of divers I see using a muck stick use it like a crutch to make up for deficiencies in buoyancy, trim, and propulsion. Once they start using it, what is the motivation to improve other dive skills?

After many years of diving the island on a regular basis, I know of no law prohibiting the use of muck sticks. I myself, along with a bevy of other local divers/photographers, use or carry them on a regular basis. In general, they are used for signaling devices, monopods for cameras, and marking critters for other divers, not to compensate for bad buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom